The Voices In My Head

Melody's POV

I had a hard time sleeping that night. All I could think about was that day at the house on the cliff. There was more to that story, and I often woke up with the feeling of falling. There was no point in sleeping. I sat up in bed and closed my eyes. I could feel the walls guarding my conscious going down, and so many voices were flooding my brain. I shut them out, however, except one. You called?

"Shut up," I muttered. "I can't sleep."

Well, I'm afraid I cannot help you with that. I'm only here to protect you.

"I know that," I said, "but it's your actions as to why I can't sleep."

Again, the girl deserved it.

"She was my friend!" I said angrily. "You killed my friend. It was your actions that killed her! You only protect my living being, but you don't care if your actions will hurt me mentally!"

Your problem, not mine.

"Not your problem?! It is your problem, you selfish person! I don't know how the hell you became my 'guardian angel', but sometimes I wish you'd watch your actions more carefully!" I was alone in this section of the TARDIS, so I could talk as loud as possible.

Do you know how long I've been watching over you? Since you were born. I had died in the room next to the one you were born in, and my ghost decided that to prevent another death as long as possible, I would bind myself to you and protect you. You cannot regenerate even though you have Time Lord DNA. I am the only reason you can see them after they passed to the other side.

"So you kill people to protect me? Even though I can't regenerate, which I know that I can't, but I do have some regeneration energy, just not enough for full regeneration! Also, please make them go away. They're intrusive and I don't like them at all. Do me a favor: don't hurt people until they're pointing a gun at me, or they're holding a knife to my throat. I lost my friend two years ago because of you." I was shaking. She was following me just to protect me, because she wanted to.

I was scared for you, Melody! It's hard for me when someone's threatening to hurt you. Stop shutting the souls out; you shut me out too. You could just ask me to ask them to go away, you know. I was touched by this; she had always sounded snotty and selfish, and for her to be scared for me, actually worried that I would get injured, was....it was unimaginable. I was also touched by the fact that all of the babies that were born at her death, she decided to protect me. Maybe it was because I had a Time Lord for a father, the last Time Lord, or maybe it was because I was so unique, or even possibly because I was born in the room next to her.

Do you understand now? she whispered. Just because I sound rude to you, it doesn't mean anything. Look, I'm sorry that your friend is dead, and I'm sorry if the souls are annoying you, but I lost a child once, and I don't want to go through that again. You lost your mother when you were young, Melody. I am the closest thing you have for a mother since yours died. You are my child, and I'm sorry that you can't stand my company, but there's nothing I can do about it, okay?

I knew that underneath all the snottiness, she could be really caring. I had never known her to be a mother, and again, I was deeply touched. I only had one question: "What is your name, anyways? I sick of referring to you as 'she' or 'you'."

That information resides in me, and me only. Will you stop feeling angry about her death? I told you I overreacted, and I apologize, but Melody, stop avoiding me because of it! I have feelings, too, you know.

"I'm going back to sleep. Good night," I said, lying back down. I slept a little better resolving that with her, but not by much.

                                                                                     ********