Visiting the Cemetery

Doctor's POV

Despite Jasmine's protests, I decided to take a walk. To the cemetery. Melody decided to tag along at the last minute.

"Do you have to visit her grave?" Melody asked. She had been picking flowers to put on her grave and now had a large bouquet.

"Yes."

"You really miss her, don't you?" Melody said. I nodded. "Why shouldn't I?"

Melody sighed and pushed open the gate to the cemetery. She automatically walked over to a large obsidian plaque. She ran her fingers through the list. "Can you believe this list will be extended so much?"

"It's horrible," I agreed. I searched the names until I found her name. Cassandra May Piper. Kat. My throat closed. I didn't know why I had to visit the cemetery.

"I wish she was here," Melody said. I nodded. "If you only remembered her, Melody."

"I do," she said abruptly. "I remember the night when she died. I don't why I remember that, but I do."

I reached over and wrapped an arm around Melody's shoulders. "Come, let's go find her grave."

Melody nodded, but laid a flower at base of the plaque. She then led me through the cemetery. I decided to ask her, "You've been to Thorn before."

"Yeah, for my birth and Mum's funeral," she replied.

"Other than that, smarty."

She smiled faintly. "Yeah, Grandma Piper took me to see the family. She said it was good for me." 

"Was it?"

"Not really. It kinda turned into a sob fest. Here's her grave."

I took the flowers from Melody and bent down to lay them on the grave. It was a large tombstone, and in large letters, the people who made the tombstone had engraved:

Here lies beloved Cassandra May Piper
Born August 4, 1585
Died July 24, 1997
Courage is a resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear

I knew the last quote very well. It was a Mark Twain quote, and Kat's favourite quote. Was.

"She didn't deserve to die," I said quietly.

"I know, Dad. Maybe we should go..." her voice faltered.

"What? What's wrong?" I asked.

"I've gotta go," she said abruptly, and without another word, she took off sprinting. I watched her leave with some confusion. Something had scared her, badly. I looked at the sky. I noticed some black spots in the sky.

They were wrong. The enemy hadn't gotten here at noon. They got here at ten in the morning.

I took off running.

                     ****

"But where's Melody?" Ella asked.

"I don't know," I replied glumly. Melody had disappeared somewhere in the mansion. According to Jasmine, she had opened the door to Melody, and she just brushed past her without saying anything and had ran up the stairs.

"Maybe she's in her room?" Alex suggested. "Either way, we've got to get to the palace. She's fighting. Oh, come on, don't look like that-" for Ella looked upset at this-"she's gonna fight anyways, if it means being with her lovely boyfriend."

"I'll go find her," I offered, standing up.

"Fine, Time Lord," Jasmine said. "But I know she's not on the third floor?"