The Silent City

Melody's POV

I didn't like traveling in this direction. There was someone calling, and I was the only one who could hear it. That, unfortunately, gave Dad another reason to travel in that direction, and I was forced to follow him. On the other hand, I really wanted to see who was calling....

"We've been led to a cemetery," Emily's voice cut through my thoughts. Oh. Of course. My nervousness must've shown on my face because Dad asked, "Are you alright, Melody?"

"What? Oh, uh, yeah. Yeah, I'm fine," I said. "I'm just not a big fan of cemeteries."

To my relief, Dad didn't question it. Instead he just muttered, "Another thing that she's scared of that isn't that scary."

"I don't know," Emily said, "Cemeteries can be a little creepy at times."

I nodded, grateful for Emily agreeing with me. Dad sighed. "This isn't helping us at all. We don't know where the sound went, or the people, and we've been led to a cemetery."

"This is where the calling is coming from," I said all of a sudden.

"Maybe we should enter?" Emily suggested.

"No," I said firmly. "No, you guys stay here."

"Melody-" Dad began, but I was off running. "Don't follow me!"

I was really nervous about the calling. I jumped over tombstones and ran over graves as I looked for a certain one. As I ran, the calling became louder and louder until I stopped at her tombstone. Liliana Potts. 1957-1966.

"Why are you calling to me?" I whispered as the wispy form of a nine year old girl with black hair rose out of the grave.

"You missed the meeting," Liliana said. 

Crap. She and I had a meeting planned out, and it had been only a couple hours ago. Whenever that happened, Liliana would hurt my loved ones only if she couldn't get to me. And because of her, Liliana couldn't get to me. Now I knew why the city was quiet.

"I'm here," I said. "What have you done to the city?"

"Oh, they're asleep," Liliana said. "Nothing dangerous."

"Wake them up. Now," I hissed.

"Until the next meeting," Liliana promised.

"That's four weeks from now!" I protested. Liliana smiled. "Exactly. By that time, they'll either die of thirst or starve, whichever comes first. And you can't wake them up-only I can."

"You are a sick and twisted minded little girl, you know that?" I snarled. "Wake them up, or I will burn your dead body!"

Liliana widened her eyes. The only way I could get rid of the souls was to burn their bodies. It was the only reason I couldn't see the ghosts of the people who burned to death. "You wouldn't!"

I pulled a lighter out of my pocket. I always carried one in my pocket in case it ever came to this. "Try me," I said, clicking the lighter. Liliana's smoky form shook. "Fine! Fine! In twenty four hours, they'll all wake up."

I picked up a rock and threw it at her ghostly form. "You bitch!" Tears were forming, but I rubbed my eyes and said, "Wake them up in the next four hours, or I will burn you to death!"

"You wouldn't." Liliana was still smiling, but it had become fixed, and I could hear a quiver in her voice.

"I would," I said calmly.

"You don't have a shovel," she pointed out.

"I have hands," I pointed out, and crouched down as if I would really dig up her grave. My fingers were touching the dirt when she said, "Okay, okay! In the next ten hours, they will wake up. I won't make it shorter. Just please, don't touch my body!"