39 | Hurt Hearts Tell No Truth

Super extra long chapter this week! You're welcome 😌. Thank you for liking the chapters and leaving comments, they mean the world to me!! Please don't hate on my babies in this chapter, they both said things they don't mean. Or do they actually mean them? Continue reading to find out 😜 Hehe now please don't hate on me too. Besos la familia, I love you ❤️. Oh and can we please appreciate the effort I put in finding the titles for every chapter? Took me half an hour to come up with this one, worth a little like, don't you think? 🙏

I've been sitting on the couch for almost thirty minutes now, my phone in my hands, debating whether or not to tell Brad where I'm going tonight. I keep drafting up text messages and deleting them before sending them, because no matter how I write them, they always end up sounding really bad. I mean, how could they not? Because in the end, I'm spending the evening with my ex boyfriend and his entire family, so how could they not sound bad? And with his whole family thinking we're still engaged on top of that. I know it's a really stupid idea but I promised myself that it will end tonight. I won't leave Jay's place without his family knowing we're not together anymore and will put him and that part of my life behind me for good. Brad hasn't called or texted the entire day, which helps me not feel as guilty as I should about spending the evening at Jay's parents'. I'm really surprised as to why he's been acting like that lately. His clear lack of interest towards me is very unusual and is having a negative effect on me; I'm starting to act like a bitch. All I want is for him to pay attention to me, to make me feel like he cares about me. And lately, he's been doing a terrible job at it. I'm in the middle of writing the hundredth text draft to Brad when someone knocks on my front door. I lock my phone without sending the message and leave to open the door, knowing exactly who's behind it.

"Hey", Jay says with a smile as soon as I open the door. "You look beautiful".

"I haven't changed since you saw me earlier", I answer with a soft laugh.

"I know, you looked beautiful then too", he answers as I grab my keys and lock the door behind me. I don't answer his comment, a little uncomfortable if I'm honest and we make our way to his car. The ride starts in an awkward silence until I can't take it anymore and break it.

"So, what's the plan?", I ask, looking at him while his eyes are focused on the road.

"The plan?", he repeats as if he has no idea what I'm talking about.

"Well, yeah, what are we doing? How are we telling your parents we're not engaged?"

Jay remains quiet for a few seconds, still looking at the road and I wonder what he's thinking about. It doesn't seem like he thought of a way to end this situation and I start to worry about the outcome of the evening. 

"Jay, we are telling your family today", I say, not leaving him a choice in the matter.

"I know", he answers, yet he doesn't seem convinced. "I just haven't figured out how to yet"

I turn my eyes towards the road as I think about why I accepted to do this in the first place. Being alone in the car with Jay is bringing so many memories back and I have to force myself not to think about them.

"Should I make a big scene during dinner?" I ask and he looks at me for a second, a clear look of surprise on his face, before turning his eyes back on the road, a soft chuckle escaping his lips.

"You making a scene? I'd love to see that", he answers, still laughing at the idea.

"Eh! I'm a good actress you know, I'll make it believable", I exclaim, suddenly realizing what I just said and cursing at myself in my head. I really need to learn to think twice about what I'm about to say before actually saying it.