17 | Open Your Eyes, Bro.

Brad's POV.

Emma has just left, and my entire body is still shaking with anger. Why is she acting like such a bitch? I know she can't stand Ash, but why is she making up stories like that? Is Ash right when she says Em is trying to break us up? Is that her revenge for whatever happened between her and Jay? I don't understand why she would do that, but it seems obvious to me that whatever her reasons are, she'd rather fight with me than face the fact it's all her fault.

"What's going on with Em?", Tris asks as he walks through the door. "Is she okay?"

I don't answer and go to the kitchen to get a drink. I need something strong.

"What did you do?", Tris says as he follows me in the kitchen, making me raise my head to face him. Why is everyone against me today?

"Why do you automatically assume I did something?"

"She looked pretty upset, and your silence kinda gives it away. So spill it"

"She's being fucking irrational", I answer as I pour myself a glass of whisky. "She's fucking mad at me for something she's responsible for"

"What the hell happened?", he asks as I grab my glass and go back into the living room where I sit down on the sofa, closely followed by Tris.

"She keeps blaming Ash for stuff she didn't do. And now she's blaming me for being dumped by that dickhead", I say, feeling my blood boil again. Why is she so upset with me anyway? She's better off without him. She can do so much better than that moron.

"Hold on, they're not together anymore?", he asks as if I just said someone has died.

"Apparently", I answer before taking a sip of my drink.

"Dude, I don't know what happened between the two of you, but she probably has her reasons to think it's your fault. You can be a real dick to her sometimes without even realizing it", he starts to say before interrupting himself seeing the death stare I'm giving him. "Look, I know you care about her man, so stop being a dick and go apologize for whatever it is that you did"

What the fuck is happening today? Have they all signed a pact to give me shit? Em is the one acting like a bitch, and I'm the one getting the blame? Fuck this.

"Fuck off, Tris", I say, getting pissed. "You're right, you don't know the story so don't come and lecture me. She's better off without him anyway, so if it's my fault, then I did her a favour", I add and Tris looks at me as if I've just announced I'm quitting the band.

"Jesus man, she's probably heartbroken right now and you're saying that kind of shit?", he says, looking at me with disappointment. "I seriously don't understand you dude. You've been giving her so much crap with all her boyfriends"

"Bullshit!", I defend myself. "Jay was particularly bad"

"Really? Isn't that what you said about Lucas? And Sam before that?"

"Shut up", I say, tired of the conversation. Why do I have to defend myself for something I didn't even do? "She does have a thing for dickheads though", I add, thinking of her exes.

"What was wrong with Jay? From the one time we all hung out, he seemed pretty cool"

He can't be serious. Jay and cool in the same sentence? Yeah, I don't think so. Just thinking about him is making me angry.

"Seriously? Dude, everything was wrong with him. His fucking face, his jackass voice, the way he always had to touch her like he was marking his territory", I answer, clenching my fists at the thought of it. Picturing him all over Em is making me sick.

"Yeah mate, that's what couples do, they touch each other", Tris answers, very sarcastically. "Doesn't seem to be bothering you when it's Ash doing all the touching"

"You can't compare! Ash is like that, while he was clearly doing it on purpose to piss me off"

And it's true, every single time we all hung out together, he had to be glued to her, his hands all over her body, whispering stuff into her ear, kissing her... I know he was doing it on purpose.

"Apparently it worked pretty well... Now, have you ever asked yourself why you get so pissed off seeing her with other guys?"

What the hell is he insinuating? Of course I get pissed off, she's my best friend. I don't like seeing guys take advantage of her. She deserves better than a dumb soccer player who can't do shit in bed.

"Fuck off", I answer, defensive again. "I just don't like seeing her being used"

"Brad, man, we all kept our mouth shut out of respect, but you're acting like a fucking asshole with her, so it's time someone makes you open your eyes"

"What the fuck are you talking about?"

"Dude, you get all worked up every time she has a new guy in her life. Every single time! You always find a reason to hate them, and never even try to hide it. Have you ever thought about how it affects her? You know we talk, right? How do you think she felt after you punched Jay in the face?", he says before marking a quick pause. "You're being a selfish jerk because you're in love with her. It's time you face it man", he adds and I almost choke at the sound of that. It's the most ridiculous thing he's ever said to me. I'm not in love with Em. I mean, of course I love her, she's been my closest friend since we were eight. But I'm not in love with her. No, I'm in love with Ash.

"You're fucking delirious mate. I've got everything I need with Ash"

"Then you've got lower standards than I thought. You know, if Ashley was that great, she wouldn't make you choose between her and Em, because clearly that's what's happening here"

"You seriously don't know what you're talking about. Em is the one being a bitch right now. She's accusing Ash of something she didn't do"

"Are you sure she didn't do it?"

"Yes! Bloody hell, she's not the fucking bitch everyone thinks she is!"

"Look, all I'm saying is that it seems like you're fighting with Em because of her. So I'd make sure she really didn't do whatever it is that Em is accusing her of before you lose her for good"

I don't answer and go straight to my room. I'm so over this conversation. Why am I the bad guy in this mess? And why does everyone think Ash is the worst bitch on earth? She's not and all I want is for them to finally see it. But what tris last said resonates with me. Am I about to lose Em? But she's the one making up shit about Ashley. Why should I apologize to her? And worst of all, she's the one willing to end our friendship over that dickhead. Clearly, I've never really counted for her.