11 | The Morning After

Sunday Morning.

I'm pulled out of my deep sleep by a loud ring tone echoing in the bedroom. My head instantly starts to pound, as if attacked by a jackhammer. Ouch. I probably shouldn't have drunk that much last night.

"Mmmm", I hum, miserably and barely audible. The loud ring tone is still going on, making my head feel like it's going to explode. I open one eye, not without struggle, and see Brad lying next to me on his chest, one hand under his pillow and facing the opposite direction. "Brad", I say, still half asleep hoping he'd make it stop. But he doesn't move, clearly still deeply asleep, while the ringing's as loud as ever. "Brad!", I say louder this time to wake him up as I kick him in the legs with my foot. "Turn it off".

How can he still be sleeping? All I can hear is that ringing noise, resonating in my head. But there's no way I'm gonna get up to make it stop. Because I know that the moment I stand up, the content of my stomach will end up on the floor. Brad finally starts to move in the bed, sign that he's still alive. Without switching position, he pats the nightstand, his eyes clearly still shut as he makes everything his hand encounters fall to the floor in the loudest noise possible. I want to die. Being hungover is not a feeling I missed.

"It's not mine", Brad suddenly mumbles in his husky morning voice. Fuck. Now I have no other choice but to find my stupid phone where that insanely loud ring tone is coming from. I slowly and gently move closer to the edge of the bed, trying my best not to make any sudden moves my stomach would find upsetting, and let my arm hang until my hand touches the floor. I pat it blindly, hoping my phone is somewhere in the mess of clothes and random shit Brad has laying everywhere in his room. THERE. I finally found my precious phone and was about to throw it against the wall when I noticed the caller ID. Jay. I slide my finger across the screen and bring the phone to my ear.

"Hello", I say in a still groggy, and clearly dehydrated voice.

"Hey baby", Jay says, way too loud for my already pounding head, making me pull my phone away from my ear. I instantly press the volume button down, reducing Jay's voice to a whisper. "Shit, did I wake you up?", he asks as he probably heard my cracked voice.

"Maybe?", I answer, still not completely awake.

"It's 1 pm babe, why are you still sleeping?", he asks and I can tell at that exact moment where his mind is going. There's no way he can know I'm with Brad. That would crush him. Especially after he made me promise not to sleep in the same bed as B while he's away.

"I wasn't feeling great this morning and must have fallen asleep", I answer, hoping he wouldn't question my lie.

"Sorry, babe, are you feeling better now?"

"Kinda", I answer, not meaning it the slightest. I feel like crap.

"Well, I have something to tell you that'll make you feel better", he says, making me smile at the sound of his voice, and the happiness I can hear from it. "I took an earlier flight. Long story, but I'm on my way to your place. I'll be able to take care of my sick girl". I can't help the smile that appears on my lips. Jay's coming home. After six days away from each other, he's finally coming back to me.

"Oh my gosh, baby, that's awesome!" I say, sitting up on the bed, instantly regretting it as I swallow back what is threatening to leave my mouth.

"Shut up", Brad says next to me as he places his pillow over his head. Apparently I'm not the only one a little hungover this morning. Well, afternoon as it appears.

"Is Brad with you?", Jay asks, making my heart rate go even faster than it already is. Fuck, he can't know. I have no choice but to lie to him. Again. But when it is to protect someone, is it really considered lying?