15 | Love is Not Always the Answer

Brad's POV.

Shit. I really fucked up on that one. I've never seen Emma so upset with me before. Not even close, in the 16 years I've known her. We've obviously had fights before, but never like this one. Did she mean what she said? Is she really ending our friendship? No, she can't do that. She's my best friend, she can't just cross me out of her life like that, can she? I can't stop thinking about what she said my entire ride home. Something about Ashley blackmailing her? What the fuck? Ash would never do something like that. And what reason would she have to anyway? But why would Em make up a story like this? As soon as I reach home, I call Ash, asking her to meet me at my place. I need to find out what the hell is going on.

"We need to talk", I say as soon as Ash enters my apartment and she looks at me, surprised.

"That doesn't sound good", she answers as she puts her coat on the sofa and sits down beside it. I take a seat next to her, trying to think of the best way to ask her about what Em said.

"Did you tell Em about what I told you that night?"

"What do you mean? Tell her about what?", she asks, confused.

"You know what I'm talking about. She and Jay. She won't talk to me, so obviously something happened between you two"

She rolls her eyes at me, reminding me of Em and her constant eye-rolling habit.

"God, she's such a drama queen. She's the one who started being all bitchy to me, telling me how much she hates me and how I'm keeping you away from her"

"That doesn't sound like her, she...", I start before Ash interrupts me.

"She's in love with you baby, and she'll do whatever she can to break us up. I think it's for the best if she doesn't want to talk to you anymore. You're better off without her"

"Are you serious right now? You know she's my best friend. Why the fuck did you go tell her everything I said about Jay? I was drunk, I shouldn't have told you that stuff"

"Baby, I'm sorry", she says with tears in her eyes. "Please don't be mad. It just came out. I know I shouldn't have said anything, but she was insulting me. I had to defend myself"

"She was insulting you? That really doesn't sound like her", I answer, having a hard time believing Em would do something like that.

"You don't believe me? She was a real bitch to me. She always has been, since the first day you introduced us. How can you not trust me? I'm your girlfriend, and you prefer to believe her. Clearly she's more important to you than me", she continues before pausing for a second to wipe away the tears on her cheeks. "See what she did? She managed to get us to fight. That's exactly what she wants. She hates me Brad, and she won't stop lying to you until we're no longer together. You're being manipulated. How can you not see that?", she adds as she stands up from the couch. "But you know what, if you prefer to believe her over me, then maybe it's her you should be dating", she finally says as she starts walking towards the door, clearly upset.

"Wait", I say as I grab her hand and make her turn around to face me. "I'm sorry. You're right, I should believe you"

She looks at me, clearly not convinced with my poor attempt at apologizing.

"I mean I do believe you", I add before she becomes even more upset with me. "I'm just confused about the situation. She's never been that upset with me before"

"Well, I guess she's finally showing who she really is. I'm so done fighting because of her. Can we just stop talking about her?", she asked as she comes closer to me, placing her hands on my chest. "I was thinking we could do something more... fun", she adds before kissing me. I let her deepen the kiss, and place my hands on her waist, pulling her closer to me. Sex is exactly what I need to keep my mind from thinking about Emma and the possible reasons she has to lie to me. I know she can't stand Ash, but is that enough to make up something like that?