13 | A Christmas Disaster

Christmas Day.

The Simpsons are at my parents' place for our traditional Christmas lunch, along with Ashley who despite my prayers for her to cancel, ended up coming. It's only been half an hour and I already want to pluck her hair out. The way she's constantly glued to Brad, her hands never leaving his body, and how fake she is, trying to pass for a sweet, innocent girl. And the worst is, it's working. My mom is clearly buying her bullshit and even dared to share some of my embarrassing childhood memories with her. I can't wait for the day to be over already. And Jay being late doesn't help. I'm waiting impatiently for him to arrive and get me out of my misery. Anne-Marie, Brad, Ashley, Natalie and I are in the kitchen, most of us sipping on wine while my mom is all over the place prepping for lunch. We all offered our help, but of course, being the over-controlling person that she is, my mom refused, so my dad and Derek went off to talk golf in the living room.

"So Emma, your mom told me the good news", Anne-Marie says, leaning against the kitchen island, a glass of wine in her hands. "Are you excited?"

I raise my head from the cookbook I'm reading to keep my mind busy and focus my attention on something else than Ashley and give Anne-Marie a confused look.

"Good news?", I ask, feeling five pairs of eyes on me.

"The big move", she answers, clearly excited for me. "Sue told me you're moving in with your boyfriend"

I almost drop the book from my hands hearing that. But to be honest, I'm not really surprised my mom told all her friends about it, even if it's not true. I'm an only child and she literally lives to see me settle down and have kids. As if, mom, I think to myself at the thought about having kids at my age.

"Oh, that's super exciting!", Ash says before I can answer anything in her usual annoying voice and clearly faking being happy for me. I refrain to roll my eyes at her and trust me, it's not easy.

"Mom seriously, you've got to stop telling people that", I say, ignoring Ashley's comment. "I'm not moving in with him yet", I say as I turn to Anne-Marie and close the cookbook I have in my hands before putting it down on the kitchen table.

"The guy gave you a key, obviously you are", Brad says in a tone I really don't like. I turn my head towards him, Ashley still glued to him like a bloody leech. He's looking at me, and I can tell he's upset, even if I have no clue why. Why is he so moody lately?

"Because clearly you know better than me", I answer, giving him the same attitude. He doesn't answer and instead, takes a sip of his drink.

"Well living together or not, if he makes you happy, that's all that matters", Nat says to lighten the mood. I give her a smile and was about the answer her when the doorbell rings. Thank God, I thought to myself as I leave the kitchen to go open the door. Jay's finally here to save me from this conversation.

To my surprise, Brad behaved himself pretty much the entire day, which is a miracle considering what happened between him and Jay the last time the two of them were in the same room together. Our parents being there certainly helped keep him in line. Brad, Ashley, Nat, Jay and I are sitting in the living room, talking about silly childhood memories, while the parents are in the garden, probably getting excited about flowers and grass despite the chilly December weather.

"Or that time you guys got married", Nat says to Brad and I, adding on to the pile of embarrassing stories. "I can't believe you dragged me into that and forced me to officiate the wedding", she adds and I can't help but laugh at the memory. It feels like an eternity ago, and I had completely forgotten about it.

"Married?", Jay asks, looking at me with confused eyes.

"That's right, mate, we sealed the deal. Gotta be faster next time", Brad answers with an obnoxious blink, knowing exactly how to make Jay tick. His comment doesn't make Ashley laugh though. She looks as if she could murder me. Why does she always get mad at me for comments Brad makes? I turn my eyes towards Jay who looks pissed too. What the hell is wrong with them? We were kids.