21 | Hide and Seek

I spend a good ten minutes running through the park looking for Brad before I finally find him. Luckily, the park is pretty much empty considering the late time and only a couple of people saw me running like a deranged person in my pyjamas. Brad's sitting on the wet grass that's already starting to freeze, wearing only a pair of jeans and a hoodie. How is he not cold? I have only been outside for what, fifteen minutes now and I'm already freezing. But that's on me for leaving the house in such a hurry that I didn't even think of grabbing my coat. As I walk closer to Brad, I notice the almost empty bottle of whisky next to him. Fuck, he didn't go easy on it. Why are you doing this to yourself, B? I think to myself as I sit down next to him, not caring if my butt ends up wet and frozen.

"You came", Brad says, almost surprised as he turns his head towards me.

"Of course I came", I answer, looking into his wet and puffy eyes. He's clearly been crying and it's breaking my heart to see him like that.

"I missed your face", he says, not breaking eye contact. "I thought you'd never wanna see me again"

"Well, that was the plan but I changed my mind", I say, jokingly. Brad turns his head to face in front of him and looks at the ground.

"I'm so sorry, Em. I screwed everything up", he says, burying his face in his hands. "I didn't know you two were that serious. What if none of this happened, would you have said yes? You wouldn't have, right?", he adds, looking straight into my eyes. What is he talking about? He's not making any sense.

"What are you talking about? Say yes to what?", I ask, confused.

"Tell me you won't say yes", he says, ignoring my questions. "I can't lose you"

"I have no clue what you're talking about but I can tell you you're never gonna lose me, okay?", I answer as I place a hand on his cheek. The contact of my hand with his skin gives me chills and I wonder if it's because of the temperature difference between his warm cheek and my frozen hand or something else.

"You're freezing", Brad says as he takes my hand in his. "Are you wearing your PJs?" he adds, looking at me from head to toes. And I realize only now that my entire body is shaking from the cold. Not surprising considering the outfit I'm wearing and the negative temperature. Brad quickly removes his hoodie and forces it onto my head, warming me up instantly.

"Great, now you're the one who's gonna freeze to death", I say, looking at his bare arms while I bury my hands in the centre pocket of the hoodie. "We should go before our bodies turn to ice"

"Why are you in your PJs?", he asks as he continues to ignore my comments.

"Because someone decided to go rogue and disappear for a day, worrying everyone around him", I answer as I stand up from the freezing ground. "Come on B, let's get you home", I add, holding my hand out to him.

"I don't wanna go home", he says, not moving. "The moment you'll be gone, everything will be back to fucked up"

Seeing him like this is breaking my heart. He looks so heartbroken and I can't stop myself from thinking it's because of his breakup with Ashley. He's probably feeling as shitty as I felt after Jay broke up with me. Because he loves her, right? I mean, why would he have stayed with her and chosen to believe her over me if he doesn't? He loves her, and she broke his heart. Why is the idea of him being heartbroken because of her making me feel so helpless? What exactly am I feeling? Jealous? Is that what it is? Am I jealous he has those feelings for her? Fuck, I am.

"It's gonna be okay, B", I say and crouch next to him, placing my hand underneath his chin to force him to look at me. "I know exactly how you feel right now but trust me, it's gonna get better", I add as he looks at me with so much pain and despair in his eyes. I didn't think it was possible to hurt that much seeing someone else in pain.