[4] He Doesn't Know

“Do! Do! Look at what I did! Look!” a two-year-old Villahr came racing inside from the yard, where he'd been playing. A fresh wound dripped blood all down his arm and there pride absolutely oozing from every pore. This was apparent by the great big smile on his face. 

He clutched a long nail he'd dug out of the ground, tight in his grubby little hand, running as fast as his legs could carry him. Though his Doseono had always cautioned him that doing so with sharp objects could lead to a medical emergency he wasn't sure he could fix — like something accidentally lodged in an eye socket — he kept up his speedy pace. The house wasn't all that big, but it had many rooms, and to a toddler they were monstrous. 

“Do! Do!” he kept calling, as he checked every room for sign of the man who'd been raising him. Where could he be? After searching every area —not thoroughly exactly but well enough to have noticed a a full grown man hiding in the shadows. Villahr found nothing. There was no reply. Not a sound. 

Fear began to creep up and wrap around the little boy at the prospect of an empty house. That's impossible though, he only assumed, because his Doseono —or father as the humans like to put it — would never leave him. Not alone. He always took him everywhere. Even in the case of an emergency he would not leave without first informing the neighbours, in which case someone would always come right over.

Out of all his sitters, Villahr was particularly fond of Mrs. Jezamine Elly next door. They'd watch movies together, and she would secretly let him stay up much later than he was allowed to watch television. She knew nothing of the young boy’s heritage. As far as Mrs. Elly was concerned, Villahr was no different than any other child. A human child. The lad’s father thought it best that way, and saw to it that she was not informed any differently.

 Villahr ran to the sitting room where Mrs. Elly and he would spend most of their time, hoping to find her there. The chair she had taken a liking too, and sat in every visit, with Villahr snuggled on her lap — was empty. There was no Mrs. Elly to be found, only silence. The walls seemed to be getting scarily closer by the second.

Villahr awoke with a start to one of his employees cautiously nudging at him. He shot upright on the sofa where he'd been resting and within no time flat his fangs were bared. His eyes viciously dark and looked as though the pupils dotting each centre had swallowed the iris. The young man who'd been prodding at him jumped a good couple feet back against the door in a panic.

“Christ Dino! I told you never to wake me!” he shouted. He didn’t sound groggy in the slightest. Vicio were like cats in that way. When they slept they were never truly under, a part of them was always attentive and ready to respond to even the slightest of movements. The trick was learning whether or not an approaching figure was friend or foe. Dion had only been employed a little over a month. so it was still impossible to determine under what category he fell.

Villahr closed his eyes a moment in an attempt to better retain his composure. It was not his wish to frighten the human further. He thought back to when Dion first approached him for the job. Villahr had outright told him that he had to be crazy, and he never expected a human would apply for such a dangerous position. But Dino was insistent, he wanted to be there.

“I'm up for the thrill,” he said. Villahr had laughed at this, and bringing it back to mind now brought out a similar chuckle. 

His fangs soon retracted back into his gums with the same fluidity as when they had come out. When his lids slid open, his eyes had reverted back to their natural blue hue. 

Glancing at the clock on a small, glass coffee table in front of him, Villahr noticed it had only been twenty minutes. After cutting several times since Karolinna’s crisis, he was able to revert his blood back to a healthy silver colour. Losing so much fluid in such a short amount of time made him rather weak, and so he left Dion in charge, and took a moment to rest in his gloomy back office.