[22] Jairessa

Karolinna smiled as she felt the warmth of Villahr’s fingers on her cheek, brushing back a cascade of flaxen that had fallen over her eyes as she rotated to lie on her side, back facing him. The end-table, now at her front, was surprisingly empty; for once void of half full Chilla bottles and the usual plethora of empty glasses. The clock flashes five times brightly against the wall with such vibrance Karolinna was certain it had left an imprint on her retinas.

Villahr’s heat was now seeping through the sheets and even penetrating the thick, emanating layer of coolant that was meant to lower the temperature of one body, not two. Karolinna could feel the stark difference on her legs, and it was started to get uncomfortable, but she enjoyed the male’s presence too much to say anything.

For several hours now Villahr had plagued her with a garage of questions and concerns regarding her nightly scourings which he was certain were quite frequent. They spent almost every night together when they weren’t working, and Villahr surely would have remembered if he were talking to a clump of strategically placed pillows under a sheet.

Karolinna had been doing a good job at first with deflecting conversation with unrelated remarks, laughter, and her mesmerizing smile, but it was beginning now to become taxing. Telling Villahr what he wanted to hear would be for the best, but in her somewhat addled state Karolinna knew she would not be on top of her game when it came to witty deceit.

“How long have you been doing this?” Villahr asked. Karolinna didn’t even have to use her powers of the mind to see that one coming, since he had formed the very same question several times in many different ways to which each time she cleverly deflected it. His persistence was quite bothersome sometimes.

“If I tell you, do you promise that it stays between us?” Karolinna inquired. Villahr gave her a reluctant nod, and catching the movement in her peripheral, Karolinna sighed loudly.

“The past couple weeks now. When you pulled those all over-nighters,” came her reply after a defeated exhale.

“As I figured.”

Villahr’s eyes flitted to Karolinna’s form reflected in the television across from them, before turning to his own right next to her. Adjusting his eyes in the gloom he fixed his gaze direct into the familiar blue orbs that stared back at him. With each blink — as if wearing several pairs of darkened sunglasses and removing them one-by-one — the blackness they sat in lightened quickly to a faint greyish tint.

Were a human to have the ability to see what he did, it would not be terribly difficult to convince them the sun had peaked the horizon and night was once again absent. For a moment Villahr travelled within his mind to almost unchartered thought patterning. If he were a vampire and he cast such a gift upon his prey, he could practically deliver them right to his waiting mouth before they would even realize what had happened.

The faelna lying next to him reached her hand up to tug Villahr’s hair from it’s confines, a stretchy piece of black material, and the action brought him back to reality. Strands of white and grey fell down his back, shoulder, and over Karolinna’s waiting hand which she immediately began to fiddle with. Using her index finger she wrapped a small section around it’s length to the tip, then let go and started again from the knuckle.

“Before you say another word, I am extremely careful.”

Karolinna turned her head to face Villahr who was leaning back against the headboard. The pillow that had been positioned behind him was now at his feet.

“Since the overthrow, the place is crammed during the day. The vamps have those pitiful creatures scared shitless, and only the real brave, or unbelievably stupid ones dare come out at night.” Karolinna smirked suddenly and she got this look like she was enjoying a personal joke, only it wasn’t that personal.