[39] Problem

Karolinna pulled the sheet off the bed and loosely wrapped it about her torso. Apart from the occasional glance back, Denaii didn’t pay the faelna much mind in her under-dressed state. Karolinna couldn’t help but to feel a little put off by it; like there was something wrong with her.

“Let me ask you this,” said Denaii, still marvelling at the size of the television mounted on the wall, “Just how substantial are your ‘Daddy issues’ that you would rather spend all your time amongst the trees and low-lifers, than here?” he pointed his thumb at his own chest jokingly and laughed. He drags his finger along the edge of Karolinna’s dresser as he walks by and stops at the coat rack by the door where an assortment of fancy overcoats —the leather cloak he had become accustomed to included — hung on their own singular pegs.

Karolinna dropped down in the chair by the desk. The sheet she used as a make-shift robe slid down off her shoulder, revealing a thin black strap and pale skin. She pulled it back up and held the covering tighter around her. It wasn’t that she gave much thought to the fact that she was near nude in the presence of a male —one who had expressed both vague and outright interest in her on several occasions— but the light of the moon was still shining through the open window, the curtain pulled back off to both sides, and she worried it might fall upon her.

The blonde watches him carefully as Denaii scopes about the room. He’s not as nosy as Villahr would be, who would expect something dangerous and or illegal to be hidden amongst her delicates. He left the drawers shut tight as they were originally, but Karolinna did manage to catch the quick looks he gave to the ones that were pulled open, and he did peek into the closet briefly. The door was still wide open as the falena had left it when she went searching for old texts hidden in the back under boxes of shoes.

“It’s my mother that’s the problem, actually,” she said finally, crossing her legs. The sheet didn’t quite cover the lengthy stems and her cobalt painted toes peeked from where the fabric parted, along with a substantial amount of daunting flesh.

“That’s not why I prefer it out there though… not completely.”

“So? What’s the pull?” asked Denaii, turning to face her. He was standing by the bed now but he didn’t dare sit upon it until he received confirmation that he could in the form of a nod from Karolinna who then continued to speak. 

“Do you have any idea how hard it is to be so close to something you desire but it is forbidden for you to grasp it?” she questioned. 

Denaii gave her a funny look. It was actually a very familiar feeling. 

His fangs twitched in his gums as what he most desired popped into the forefront of his mind. He could very easily take it should he so choose, but in doing so he would have to submit to the monster within and that is something he would not if he could help it.

“Actually, I do. Thus my strict mammalian diet.” Denaii’s eyes strayed a little but not to the tempting flesh of Karolinna’s shoulders revealed yet again, but the lengthy expanse of her stems, one swaying back and forth as she listened to him speak.

Intrigue had found its way to her thought pool again and she couldn’t fish it out even if she tried. All those nights beneath the moon and stars she was plagued with a similar rush and thought at times she felt as though she probably should keep her mouth shut, the questions spilled forth like vomit. They didn’t talk much about this subject then. To be completely honest it was Karolinna’s least favourite focus, making her a little unnerved, and Denaii noticed this right off by the sickly shade of her complexion when they would discuss it.

He didn’t bring it up again after that point and only indulged the falena when she herself had inquired upon the topic.

The candle burning behind her was beginning to die out, dimming the room. Karolinna leaned back and put her bout over the flame. When she pulled back, the light licking at her lips a little as the fire grew again, singing them in places, Denaii watched her fascinated. She ran her tongue over the burned area and the sores were gone in an instant.