[20] Not So Fast

As Villahr made his way down another lengthy corridor that connected his room to the main and most frequently travelled hall, he could feel the lids of his eyes beginning to droop. If he put enough thought into rejuvenating his body he could remove the sensation of drowsiness, but seeing as the following morning he would not be required to awake early for the first time in weeks, he made no attempt at quelling his somnolence.

He’d left the dinner table without dessert. Despite the fact that the icy, vanilla substance hidden completely by a thin layer of stiffened chocolate and cherry sauce, was his favourite. His mind was on more important things than sweets. Villahr knew he would not be able to enjoy it, and so he excused himself from the presence of his parental units and the sugary, sweet decadence without so much as a ‘Evening’ or 'Good night.’

Where is Karolinna?”

Danah had been the one to answer the elna’s inquiry.

Apparently she had been there earlier, but had left shortly after dishing complaints to the room. She carped bout how much the humans at her session today had left her drained, her lack of appetite, and loud, obnoxious yawns throughout the entire supplication of her meal for emphasis.

Danah rolled his eyes whilst responding to Villahr’s inquest and then glanced to the liquor cabinet on the far end of the room. The maid to his left made a quick movement to stand by the case should she be instructed to pull something from it.

Dara de, m ella hohs! he spoke in fluent Vicio, putting his thumb to his temple and massaging his forehead with three fingers. Kayya gave him a serious look as he used a curse for prominence. “Mey deah gemao ets gron seth. The two male’s at the table chuckled lightly in unison, and then gesturing for more wine to be poured for him, Danah stopped to drink it.

Villahr thought back to his place in the dining hall. The fact that he had not once caught whiff of Karolinna’s intoxicating, fruity perfume, was intriguing. She never left the estate without an aroma of some kind bathing her entirety, and it seemed to linger wherever she went long after she had been there. It was completely possible that she had already showered and de-scented herself from the days allure, but unlikely. There was only one reason she ever bothered to do that before dinner; and that would be if she was planning to apply a fresher and more inebriating dose of something else. More often than not it was for outside company.

Reaching his bed chamber, Villahr unlocked the door and slipped inside without a sound. He stepped out of his black dress shoes and left them at the door. They were still wrapped in a healthy glossy sheen from the moisture that must’ve been transferred from the long blades of grass in a field he’d cut through on the way home. In the little time it took for Villahr to swiftly remove his clothing, removed the chain Karolinna had given him from his neck, and retrieved a fresh towel from the dresser, there was already several drops of dew on the flooring.

Villahr sat down on the edge of his bed and took off his socks before tossing them in the hamper nearby. He pulled his hair into a pony-tail at the back of his neck —not particularly to keep the strands from getting soaked but to stop them form assaulting his eyes— and leaned forward to drop his head in his hands a few moments in thought.

Though he’d never outright said this was what he was doing, surely Kayya expected he left to go check on Karolinna. She had given him a nod and a stern look, as if granting him permission to throttle the disobedient faelna if need be. If Karolinna was making up falsehoods, he might just be tempted. Her mother wasn’t the only one concerned of her erratic behaviour as of late. Villahr made a note to drop by his friend’s quarters before he retired for the evening.