[34] Not So Bad

Villahr reluctantly pressed the tip of his finger to one of his extended fangs. When a blot of silver appeared there he smeared it about on the pad a little, with his thumb, before grabbing Karolinna by the arm and spreading it over the milky skin just about her elbow. 

He hadn’t given up hope that this extremely detrimental phase of hers would soon pass. Her eagerness to go out into the night, to see the moon and the forbidden creatures who romanced the earth amount its glow. His optimism was waning, but fortunately still strong enough to keep him sane.

This time, the injuries he currently tend to had simply been an accident. It could have happened to anyone. But the thing is, it shouldn’t have happened at all. If Karolinna knew to obey the rules, she would have very little knowledge of what it felt like to occur the moon’s wrath. 

Though Villahr took protection from it very seriously, he often thought the refrain from the globe in the night sky to be quite ridiculous. They were supposed to be such menacing creatures, below the vampiric, and something as plain as moonlight remained their downfall? Because of their unfortunate skin condition. How embarrassing.

“I don’t do this for him, you know,” offered Karolinna, as Villahr finished applying the mixture of bloody venom to her skin and released the grip on her arm, leaving faint bluish marks where his fingers had been. She could see the skin in the mirror already turning from  a bruised, blackish-purple to green, then yellow, as the venom was absorbed into the epidermis and the elna’s essence soaked into the small incision he had made with his nail. It was diminishing fast.

Villahr scoffed.

“You’re an idiot if you think I would believe that,” he answered as he washed the faint traces of blood from his finger tips into the sink. He had an angered look on his face, but at least this time his tone wasn’t matching. Of course he was irritated, agitated, angry, but nothing would come from yelling at her now and frankly he was too drained to make the effort. Karolinna would only tune him out anyway.

He left Karolinna at the sink, examining herself in the looking glass and headed back into the bedroom. She remained planted in her spot watching as the colour soon returned to normal in her flesh and she was pleased to note that there was no pain when she went to run her fingertips over the area. 

It really was an accident. Villahr hadn’t been there, and taking into account the most recent events with the faelna, he really didn’t understand why he believed her when she told him this, but he did. Her jacket had snagged on a tree branch, whilst racing from the light of the moon all the way back to the estate where it was relentless and appeared to be following her. Tonight she really had gone to seen Denaii, and she knew that this was obvious to her companion as well, yet that didn’t stop her from making the effort to convince Villahr otherwise.

He was a filthy bloodsucker, and that would never change, even though Karolinna’s disposition to them had. Well, not vampires in a whole, but certainly to Denaii. Different he was indeed, and Karolinna had long since first meeting him decided that he was none like the horrible creatures that would tear apart bodies and strew about finished carcasses outside her bedroom window. That was when the overflow had first begun. She was just a child, and a terrified one at that.

Her mother and father told her to steer clear, and so she listened. She soaked up their hatred like a sponge, and for the longest time she held onto that anger tightly, never letting a single drop escape without slurping it right back up again if it did. The vampires were repulsive, and it didn’t take much from her parental units to engrain that fact, but there was something that purposely neglected to mention.

They weren’t all bad. Denaii was proof.

She had known him for a few months now, four, five tops, and that certainly wasn’t enough to learn all there was to know about him down to his favourite colour, birth date or preferred blood type, but she had found out enough.