[41] Protective

Denaii’s body pinned Karolinna to the ground with little effort. When she tried to push him off she found it nearly impossible as the vampire was even denser now. It seemed as if she were pushing against a solid brick wall, firmly fixed to a building. SHe could do it eventually of course, as her preternatural strength allowed her to do things mere mortals would be helpless against, but it would likely break every blood vessel in her head trying.

Fighting against a vampire was one thing. Fighting against a vampire bathed with the pure focus of his unimaginable thirst for her blood was another. She tried spitting his name out at him to snap him back to reality and at least get him to remove his long talons from the flesh of her shoulder, but it was no use. Denaii was unmoving and determined.

There was a sharp stinging in the faelna’s skin where he held her, as if, were this battle happening outside rather than in, she had disturbed a colony of fiery ants and they had rushed out to take up arms against her as well. Her fangs were out, as were his, but hers aren’t dropping with saliva and paralytic venom that could easily stop movement and leave her dead still as stone, unable to do anything to prevent the vampire from drinking from her. Denaii could use this on her at any given moment, but for some reason he was holding back.

Karolinna decided he was right as a slight pang of fear stabbed through her like a bolt of lightning — he was monstrous. At least, like this he was. She had never been this close to a bloodsucker that she hadn’t immediately been able to put down or, like Denaii upon their first meeting, wasn’t even trying to fight back.

A vampire was a vicious creature on its own driven by his rage alone, but fuelled by the power of his hunger was far worse. Denaii wasn’t doing this because he wanted to per se, but his body was sure taking him along for the ride rather simply. Whatever fight he was putting up must have been too feeble to make much difference. He was helpless against that demon that he worked so hard to keep within.

Karolinna’s first thought was a smaller, reserved version of Denaii, trapped behind fortified glass watching the massacre unfolding and unable to do anything about it. Karolinna still struggled to free herself from his grip; pushing against his heavy body with all her might, even she didn’t think that was doing much good.  The only reason Denaii hadn’t chowed down upon her already was because he was in there, fighting back against himself. 

The falena winced a little when a fat drop of venom fell upon her cheek, fizzled and melted into the flesh like acid and disappeared. Instnatly the area fell numb and she knew if she touched it she would not recognize the sensation.

Many days had passed since Denaii  had last seen Karolinna. He had fed on a few fox and a small wolverine, waiting for them to come to before scurrying off into the night, off to a forbidden meeting with the beautiful vici with flaxen hair. But that was then.

A mortal might grow weaker without food for too long, but as a vampire it seemed the opposite was true. Obviously, in time, his body would begin to realize it was running on fumes, but in the beginning its as if Denaii were a bullet just shot out of a gun. His hunger drives him deep into the flesh of whatever he can get his hands on, super-charging everything else within his body as it washes over him like a wave. The down side to this boost remained still that he truly did not have much control over his actions. Little to none.

The brunette, still pressing the female’s body to the ground, felt as if he were a waining branch on a tree holding too much weight and about to snap. The smell of Karolinna’s blood was strong before, all that time ago when he still had his wits about him, but now— Now that he had broken the flesh and her blood coated his nails, the smell was more pungent than ever; it almost made him feel dizzy.