[24] Tell Me More

Tugging up her coat collar around her chin where the veil was not its strongest, Karolinna avoided looking into the vibrant red globes burning holes in her cheek.

“Can I help you?” she asked, her gazed fixed upwards on the big ball of light full in the sky. The stars speckling all around her made for a gorgeous scene and she really wished that she could take a picture of it.

“Am I really that revolting,” Denaii said. “You haven’t spared me a single glance.”

“You feel you are deserving of one?”

Karolinna’s voice was cold but it was not by intent. She was tired and thus agitated. Truth be told, although their conversations were still not all too productive she didn’t mind his company. She might even say it was enjoyable. With his constant foolery and charm, she couldn’t help but to smirk at beneath the layers of protection. Though she would never audibly admit this, he was pleasantly tolerable.

“Something tells me… we’re in for a long night.” Denaii inched closer, which for a moment made the hair on the back of Karolinna’s neck prickle. She couldn't exactly pin-point the source of this reaction but gathered it to be a mixture of the cold, fear, and mostly nervousness.

“It’s been a long day,” she said softly, and Denaii smiled at the sound of her voice. Usually full to overflowing with unwarranted anger, and insults. She was oddly quiet this night. To anyone who properly knew her, this would be taken as a blessing.

Sudden shrieks of terror somewhere in the black that engulfed them caused Karolinna to grip the strap of her bag. The familiar clunk of wood stakes in the bottom amongst the rest of her provisions caught Denaii’s attention.

“You still don’t trust me.” It was more of an outright statement rather than a question, though it could easily of passed as either.

Karolinna hugged her pack closer and looked at Denaii sternly.

“What reasoning do I have to do so?” she asked.

“Well, for one, I’ve not made any move to harm you,” he started.

“As if you could.”

Denaii ignored her response and kept onward. He could have her begging for mercy in naught but a second if he really wanted to. He kept the facts to himself, sure they both knew this, unwilling to get into an argument right now.

“How about this? I come here every night, frustrated, angry, and positively ravenous, and not once have I lost it and plunged my fangs into that pretty little neck of yours.”

Karolinna’s eyes widened at the realization and thoughts travelled to the night of their first encounter. She had been the one to assault him. The blonde’s fingers twitched at the memory of the adrenaline she felt surging through Denaii’s body. Karolinna rubbed at her knuckles firmly. That much energy within her own vessel would have sent her into a ball of rage and destruction. Apart from the way his body had reacted, he lay still — almost as if he knew what her actions were to be before she made her move.

“I’m not going to lie to you… I wanted to…” the brunette’s eyes darted to Karolinna’s neck hidden from sight with thick fabric. The smell of what was contained in her veins was overwhelming, as if they had been peeled open to the air like an orange, just waiting for him to feast upon it’s juices

“The urge would be suffocating the air out of me even now, which would be a problem if I had any demanding need for oxygen

. Do you have any idea how much control that takes?” Denaii pulled his tongue abruptly back in his mouth which he didn’t notice had been caressing his bottom lip until Karolinna’s gaze passed over them as she scanned his face.