Chapter 9 - The Siren Depths

××Zypher××

"The fastest way to get to Neptropolis is straight across Neptune Lake. Going around would take us over a week," I said, running a finger across the map in the direction we would have to go if we didn't ferry across.

"Isn't the lake dangerous? It would be safer if we went around," Wild commented, a worried tone entering her voice.

"Sirens aren't that common." I shrugged. Wild wasn't convinced. She shoved the map back into my bag and turned to give me her 'are you serious?' look again.

"It's so much faster," I argued.

"Sounds like we're going to need a boat then," Wild sighed, rolling her eyes when I grinned victoriously.

We were close enough to the docks; well, one of the docks. It wasn't the main port that most people used for trading and transport but I knew it had at least two boats that ferried travelers across.

As soon as we got close enough to view the single boat sitting on the rickety dock, Wild was pulling on my arm.

"I thought we'd be using a more, I don't know, trustworthy boat considering the lake is already not safe," Wild whisper-yelled. She eyed the entire dock distastefully out of the side of her eyes.

"It's not that bad. I've used boats here before," I said, hoping to calm her nerves.

"We just got a little bit more money from helping that orc woman with her thief problem, couldn't we use some of that to invest in a better quality boat?" Wild asked, trying to force reason in my head.

"I think we should save it for something more important."

I pushed Wild forward, ignoring her protests, and stepped onto the dock. The only boat was sat at the very end and looked a little worse for wear.

Rust stained the top edges and most of the name written on the side was illegible. I could practically feel Wilds' nerves radiating off at her.

An old man sat on the boat, his pale blue eyes already trained on us. A weathered book laid open on his lap.

"You lookin' for a ride?" He asked. His voice was rough, scratchy with age and years upon the salty lake.

"Yes, we are." I immediately pulled out a handful of gold coins when he made no movement, only continued to stare.

As soon as the jingle of coins met his ears, he began to stand. He closed his book and tucked it against his side as he approached.

He held a wrinkled hand out and I dropped the coins onto his palm, stretching over the side of the boat to reach.

"What's your name?" Wild questioned. The captain didn't even bother to look away from the money he was counting.

"Unimportant."

She frowned.

"Climb aboard." The captain waved us on and walked away towards the cabin of the boat.

I jumped off the dock, feeling the wood give way slightly under my feet as I pushed off, and landed with a metal thump. I twirled around and held a hand out for Wild.

She was unsure but still managed half a smile as she took my hand in a hard grip. I helped her off the dock and helped steady her once she was settled on the damp floor. Her hand slipped from mine and took hold of the side of the boat.

"Alright. I'll be stayin' inside my cabin during the duration of the ride. I would suggest that if you see any fog rollin' in, you keep your head low and your eyes off the water," The captain said. He was indirectly telling us to watch out for the sirens.

The door to the cabin slammed shut behind his retreating form.

"I will kill you if we end up dying because of sirens," Wild mumbled as she stalked over to one of the built-in benches. She gracefully slumped against it.

"I've never had a problem going across before. Stop worrying," I grumbled. Sirens had never bothered me. My family's training had smothered all the wants and feelings that the sirens fed on. If they came for Wild, I'd pull her out of the trance. Simple as that.

I chose a seat a little ways away and kept my eyes off of her. Since our fight a few weeks ago in Serone, we had been dancing around any serious talk. It was all silence or meaningless jokes.

"He reminds me of you when we first met," Wild said, leaning her elbow on the back of the seat and gazing across the water.

"How so?" I questioned.

"He's rude." She did a poor job of hiding her smile behind her fisted hand. I gave a dry laugh.

The boat began to rumble and I felt the shift in the air signalling that the old captain was using magic to power the vessel. A glance behind the boat showed the faint dark blue particles his magic was emitting.

The trip was going well. At least for me.

We were only on Neptune Lake for a few minutes before Wild began turning a sickly shade of green, and now, she had lost everything in her stomach multiple times.

As much as I wanted to help, there was absolutely nothing I could do so I left her to her fate of hanging her head over the side of the boat.

A thick fog filled the air when my gaze went back to the soft shifting waters. It was thick enough that seeing Wild became a challenge. I grabbed the side of the boat and hauled myself up.

It seemed my brain had fogged up as well in that moment of movement. I couldn't remember what I was getting up for. I know I had a reason, a purpose for doing so but I couldn't remember in the slightest.

A soft melody drifted across the lake directly to my ears. It sounded so clear, so close. I searched for any sign of the source in the gray-blue waters, but I quickly realized the fog had hidden the water from view. 

"Zypher~" A distant voice called. It sounded familiar but at the same time completely unknown. A path in front of me seemed to become clear and my eyes widened when the path led to a group of flat rocks.

On the rocks sat Wild. Her vanilla colored skin was on show. The fog covered her more sensitive areas but she was out there with the waters lapping at her toes.

She smiled at me, sweet and innocent, but underneath was something darker. Her teeth flashed into fangs but it was gone in the blink of an eye.

"Come to me~" Wild sang. She leaned forward and held a hand out to me. A pout replaced the smile on her face.

"Please Zypher~" I slight urgent whine entered her voice, pleading for me to come to her, to be with her.

"Wild..." The word left my lips in the form of a breathy whisper. My hands gripped onto the side of the boat and I started the motion of throwing my leg over the side. I had to get to her. I had to.

Small hands grabbed onto the back of my jacket and pulled. In my state, it didn't take a lot to yank me away from the edge. I toppled backwards into the person and took them to the ground with me. I rolled to the side, the fog finally lifting from my brain, and found a seasick Wild holding her head in pain.

The distant melody had vanished.

I snapped my head around to where the rocks should have been but found nothing but the salty, lake waters.

I turned back to Wild and helped her sit up so I could get a better look at her head and the possible damage. I tried my hardest to focus on the task at hand but what I saw haunted me.

There was no doubt that a siren had tried to lure me into the depths with her.

And it was because of Wild. She had affected me enough to make me susceptible to their attacks.

With only a bump on her head, I laid Wild down on the bench and tried to force my mind away from her.

I needed to forget these feelings.

They couldn't stay.

I couldn't let them.