Chapter 23

Cedrick's P.O.V.

"Ced? Where are you?" A woman called out. I hid in the closet as she began roaming around the house after whispering "where's that little kid" to herself.

I opened the door ajar and peeked outside. I saw her searching everywhere. She looked tensed as if she was worried about something important.

I giggled happily thinking that my plan worked out. I wanted to see her reaction after I startle her. Would she scream? Would she be scared? I'd be willing to know.

I looked again outside and only saw an empty hallway. I couldn't hear her voice anymore so I went out and decided to postpone my childish endeavor.

I tried to look for her in the kitchen then in the living room but she wasn't there as well so I went upstairs. I checked all three rooms but to my luck she wasn't in any of those.

I ran down the stairs then I approached the front door. I went out to see if she was in the porch but she wasn't though I was glad that I'd finally found her. She was in street in front of our yard, standing by the window of a really expensive car. It seemed that she was talking to the person inside of that thing.

I wanted to go near her but I prevented myself from doing so. I hid behind the pillar then I looked through the spaces between the railings of the porch to see what was happening.

Obviously, I couldn't hear a word they were saying for I was, more or less, ten meters away from them. I also couldn't see them clearly because the woman's back was facing my direction and her body was hiding the person whom she talked to away from me. Basically, I got nothing from my lame efforts of eavesdropping on their conversation.

I got very curious on what was going on and extremely bored waiting for her so I went to her. She didn't see me immediately for I was behind her and I was very small. On the contrary, I had the chance to see them.

She was talking to a man who wore a black suit and had a pair of dark lensed shades on. He looked calm but I could somehow feel that something was wrong, especially after glancing at the woman who was already red because of rage.

I quickly tugged her dress but she didn't pay me any attention. It seemed that they were having a very intense conversation for my presence was already very obvious but still, none of them realized that I was already there.

I couldn't understand anything for they were talking about adult stuffs but I could tell that they were discussing something about me. I just stood still observing them and waiting for any of them to finally notice me.

I suddenly felt scared and nervous when she began cursing the man. He didn't say anything which was not normal at all. I became more frightened when he glanced at me. I feared the possibility that he might scold me or do something to the woman because I eavesdropped on their conversation. I backed off a little.

She noticed that the man didn't have his attention on her so she looked at where the man was looking at; me. She panicked then immediately rushed to me. She bent down to match my midget of a height then held my face in her smooth but large hands.

I stared at her and was bemused when I saw how glassy her eyes were. It was like it could shatter any moment which I wished would not happen.

"What's wrong?" I asked carefully. She gave me a small smile as she shook her head.

"Nothing's wrong honey. Now get inside and wait for me there okay?" She reassured as she caressed my cheeks. I complied with her request but before I did, I said something which astonished the three of us.