Chapter 26

Sarah's P.O.V.

Newspaper headlines were basically the subject of Cedrick's birthday speech a few days ago. To be precise, he was talking about the bad headlines about him.

The day after his party, he was, once again, the headline of most tabloids and broadsheets around the country. This time was not because of his "incompetency" or "affair outside of marriage" as he had said. It was about how brave he was to clear his name in front of everyone.

Honestly, I was surprised that he did that himself. I wasn't expecting him to do so especially that he was a person smothered in pride and arrogance and there was no way that he would stoop down to the level of humbling himself. Though, he finally did.

I was actually proud of him for he finally warmed up, not only to me but to the people around us as well. The people that he, whether he liked it or not, would serve especially when he would already take over the throne.

As of today, I could say that things were smooth sailing for both Cedrick and me. We weren't bombarded by any negative news yet though we were by things regarding our relationship.

The news about him being dethroned also subsided a bit although it wouldn't be a shocker that some people still wouldn't stop pursuing their goal which was to ruin Cedrick and the royal family. It was saddening but unfortunately, a short and sincere apology, which was supposedly a birthday speech, wouldn't change the heart of everyone.

I decided to live again in the palace after we reconciled with each other. I called my parents about it and they were very happy although they were a bit worried that Cedrick and I might go through another tough situation again.

Honestly, I, too, felt the same as they were. I now knew that Cedrick had also feelings for me but it wasn't enough for me to feel at ease. I was scared of the endless possibilities ahead of us. Things that I couldn't avoid but I just hoped that we could surpass those, together. Including the frustrating fundraising event that was yet again a gathering of the socialites.

It was only eight in the morning of a cold yet a tad bit sunny Saturday. I got up from my bed an hour ago to prepare for the said occasion organized by the prime minister's wife. It would begin at ten o' clock so I needed to move fast.

I wore a pair of white pants and white polo shirt. I was allowed to dress up casually today for the event was held outdoors and there might be some sporting events that would require me to join in. Playing in a long dress and high heels wouldn't be an easy task.

Ms. Lisa had tied my hair into a high ponytail. She applied some make-up on my face then asked me to go to the office of the king where he, his mother, and the queen were waiting.

Since the party, I still hadn't met them yet. We talked for a short while during that night but our conversation wasn't as detailed as it should have been. My intuition right now? They would discuss with us their opinions regarding what transpired during the night of the party.

I got out of the room shortly after Ms. Lisa told me too. Coincidentally, Cedrick just also went out of his own room. He was wearing a bright smile in his face which I didn't see as often as before.

"We wear almost the same pieces of clothing." He commented as soon as I approached him.

I looked at his clothes and mine then I let out a laugh after realizing that he was right. The only difference was that his polo shirt was a dark shade of blue.

"Aren't we cute?" I giggled, He scoffed at me which I took as an insult. "Why?"

"I just don't like the term 'cute'. It sounds a bit silly to me." He gagged.