Part 25

Once I left the hospital, I went straight home. Sage was sitting in the living room when I got there.

"Where is your father?" I asked.

Sage looked at me and said "He left. He told me he was sorry and he loved every one of us. Mom, he's gone." I saw tears coming out of her blue eyes. Blue eyes that looked identical to Peeta's.

"Where did he go? Did he say where he was going?!" I cried. He couldn't leave. He couldn't. I had his children. I still might be pregnant with his.

"No. He just left. He didn't tell any of us where he was going." Cinna said as he walked into the room.

"You guys stay here. Don't leave the house." I said. I turned and ran to the woods. I had an idea of where he might be.

I took the long trek out to the lake. I knew he wasn't stupid enough to leave the district entirely. He knew it was dangerous. The only place outside District 12 was the lake.

When I got to the lake, I walked up to the little house on the side of it. There was smoke coming up through the chimney. It's him, I thought.

I looked through the small window at the front of the house. Sure enough, Peeta was inside making a fire. I knocked on the door. "Peeta? It's me." I said.

He opened the door and just started at me. "What do you want?" He asked.

"Look, I know you're really upset but still. You aren't the one who gets to be upset here. You don't get to leave. I just lost a baby. Maybe it was yours, maybe it was Gale's. You don't get to tell me you're leaving. If this baby is yours, you will regret it later. So, come back the kids will miss you. This isn't fair to them." I said.

He was silent. After a few moments, he sighed. "You know what? You're right. But you're also wrong. It's not fair to either of us. How can I come back if I know you could be having a baby with another guy? I can't, Katniss. Why can't you understand that?"

I felt tears running down my cheeks. He couldn't do this. Not to me, not to your children.

"Give me some time. Just give me some space." He said before he shut the door in my face.