Chapter 13

~~~Selena~~~

Time has stopped. I felt nothing else around me but the pounding beat of my heart in my ears. My eyes were focused on Percy as he looked at me worriedly. I was hoping they were playing a sick joke on me. But the seriousness on their faces told me otherwise. I saw Annabeth and Thalia saw something for I saw there lips move, but I didn't hear a sound. I felt hot tears in my eyes, threatening to fall the moment I lose control over myself.

"Selena?" Percy asked, worried. "Selena, can you hear me?"
My hearing is coming back, and the feeling of sadness was growing in me.

"Leave her, Percy." Annabeth decided. "She's in shock. Let her think."

I could tell he wanted to argue, but he didn't say anything. How could Selena be gone? I don't understand!

"Wh--what happened? After I was thrown off?" I stammered, fighting the tears.

"As you were in the air, the monster sinked in the ground along with your sister." Annabeth said quietly.

A feeling of loneliness and isolation swept over me. I wanted to be alone. I needed to be alone. I put on my boots, and walked towards the door but Percy stopped me.

"Where do you think you're going?" Percy gently tugged at my wrist.

"Leave me alone." I felt the tears fall freely as I pulled my hand away. I ran out of the infirmary, ignoring the other campers who were staring silently. It was getting dark, and I know better than wander off. But I didn't care. All I cared was...my sister. I didn't stop running till I reached the Aeolus cabin. I slammed the door behind me and slided to the floor, crying uncontrollably. I was alone. I don't have anyone. Serena was my only family, she was the only person that made me feel loved. And now all was gonna change. I pulled out my paper fan from my pocket and traced the golden designs embedded on it. It was my only reminder of Serena, aside from our necklaces. Still crying, I went to bed and curled in a ball, trying to chase away the horrible thoughts of where Serena may possibly be.

~~~Annabeth~~~
"Leave her alone!" I pulled Percy as he tried to leave the Infirmary to follow Selena.

"No!"

"You're so stubborn." Thalia exclaimed. "Can't you see she wanted to be alone? Give her some privacy! She's going through a lot right now!"

Percy glared at her but didn't answer.

"What do you expect me to do?" He snapped. At least he wasn't trying to get away from us.

"Give her time to collect herself." I said simply.

Percy glared at me this time and didn't answer again.

*Dining Pavillion*
~~~Percy~~~

I sighed and poked my pasta. It was usually one of my favorite dishes, but today it tasted stale in my mouth. I pushed the plate away and gulped down the tall glass of cool water. I immediately felt refreshed. Maybe Selena cooled down already. I walked to her cabin and saw from the corner of my eye Annabeth staring.

A few feet away from the cabin, the howling winds kept me back. I shielded my arm against the strong wind as I slowly approached the cabin. The wind is pretty strong here, is it because Selena's emotions? I panted as I finally made it to the cabin's door. I felt the wind push me back but I didn't budge. With a shaking hand due to the wind, I knocked on the door.

"Selena!" My voice was carried by the wind. "Selena, open the door!" I pounded and the door opened revealing Selena with red eyes.

"Not now, Percy!" She tried to close the door but I stuck my foot inside.

"Please let me in."

She wiped her face with her hands and let me in.

"I'm not in the mood for some argument with you." She sat on her bed with her back on me. I took a deep breath and sat next to her.

"I understand how you're feeling, Selena." I said quietly and gently placed an arm over her shoulder.

"What do you know?! You never lost anyone as important as my sister is to me." She shrugged my arm off but didn't scoot away. I took it as a good sign.

"I almost lost my mother before." I looked at my hands.

I felt her eyes on me as she spoke, "I'm sorry...it's just that..."

"It's okay." I forced a smile on her.

She sighed and said, "I'm all alone now."

Once again I placed an arm over her shoulder and I was suprised when she leaned her head on my neck.

"Alone. All alone." She whispered.

"You're not alone." I said reassuringly and took her hand with my free one.

She looked up with sad eyes and said, "Why are you so nice today, Percy? Why are you comforting me?"

I felt myself blushing and said, "I just...wanna be here for you on your time of need." Thank god she looked away after that. I didn't want her to see me blush more.

"Thank you," she whispered and gently squeezed my hand, "for being with me. I don't feel so alone anymore."

"Your welcome." I smiled and closed my eyes.

After a few minutes, I heard the wind stop outside and realized Selena had fallen asleep in my arms. Ignoring my sore arms, I gently laid her down and laid down next to her.

~~~Annabeth~~~

As I followed Percy a while ago the wind was very strong, but
now it seemed to calm down. What did Percy do to Selena? I asked myself and peeked into the Aeolus cabin. My eyes widened at the sight I saw.

Selena and Percy.

Sleeping.

Together.

In one tiny bed.

I felt piercing pain go through my heart and ran away, feeling hurt like I have never felt it before.