Chapter 35

~~~Percy~~~
"Selena!" I shook her shoulders rapidly, panic rising in my chest. The damp in my jeans became more noticeable as Selena's blood continued to spill, adding up to the dirty and dusty scent of the cave. Her frail and bloody body laid in my arms, the same body that I lovingly hugged and cuddled multiple times before.

Annabeth swallowed loudly, her gray eyes filling with tears. "Is she..."

"Of course she isn't!" I snapped, reading her mind. "She has to be alive. I mean, she's immortal. Right, Serena?!"

I glanced at the twin but as she remained silent. She was bent over Selena, checking her pulse. Her green-brown eyes widened and met mine. "She's not breathing!"

"What?!" I yelled and pressed my ear on Selena's chest. Her sister was right, there was no heartbeat. I felt my heart race and my body shook.

"Percy..." Annabeth whispered, placing a hand on my shoulder. I shrugged it off, feeling more angry tears coming. I gently lifted Selena's lifeless body and clutched her protectively.

"Why," I whispered, my voice filled with inderscribable sadness, "did this have to happen. If we were only faster, then we could've saved her." I glanced at my love's gentle face, and I noticed tear stains over her rosy cheeks. I gently ran my fingers over it, savoring the memory of her beautiful features. I felt anger burn in my body like acid eating me out.

"If only we were faster, if only we were faster!" I screamed angrily, and the cave shook slightly once more.

"Percy, stop!" Thalia said nervously, looking around us. "We might die too if you won't keep your emotions in control!"

I spun my face towards her angrily. "I don't care if I die!" I yelled. "Don't you see?! Don't you see, Thalia?! The love of my life"--Annabeth winced but I didn't care--"is dead and you want me to keep my emotions in control?! Are you freaking crazy?!"

The cave suddenly began shaking violently and my friends gasped. Grover immediately started playing his reed pipes and some nearby vines formed a large basket, carrying all of us towards the safety outside the cave. As darkness surrounded us, I glanced at Selena, hoping that everything was all a horrible dream, and that she would wake up and smile smile her glorious smile to me; I was wrong.

Just then, there was a blinding light that surrounded us and I felt the familiar sensation being pulled somewhere by my stomach. I clutched Selena against my body and soon found myself in front of the gods in the throne room in Mt. Olympus, or should I say, the Empire State Building.

"We finally located all of you trouble makers," Zeus mighty voice echoed against the room. His tone was annoyed, but there was a hint of relief in it as he saw Thalia amongst us.

"Percy," Poseidon smile faded as he saw what I was hugging.

"You need to help us! Selena's dead!" I blurted and there was a loud gasp among the gods. The most beautiful woman I've ever seen appeared with a man with wavy dark hair whom I assumed to be Aphrodite and Aeolus, Selena and Serena's parents. The two immediately hugged Serena, and I could see happy tears from Serena as she finally made contact with her parents.

"Mom, Dad," she whispered. "Selena...she's..."

The two immortals turned from one of their daughters towards me.

"Selena," Aeolus whispered and as much as it hurts me, I let Selena out of my arms. Poseidon came and hugged me tightly. Zeus and Athena did the same for Thalia and Annabeth, while Demeter wrapped her arms around Grover sympathetically. The air grew cold, and mist formed in the windows, and I realized that the sky around us was crying as well. I felt my body shake as angry tears came out, and Poseidon hugged me tighter. I pulled away from my dad and pulled out a small dagger that I took from Luke's pocket. I could feel everyone's eyes as I took several steps backwards.

"Percy, what are you doing?" Poseidon raised his hand cautiously as he slowly approached me.

"No one come near!" I exclaimed and my dad froze as I placed the dagger against my chest. "I never felt this way towards a girl, and I think it means something." Silence met me and I continued. "Selena was the most amazing person I met. She's my whole life. She's a part of me, so without her, what am I? What right do I have to live?"

"Percy, please." Aphrodite's eyes gleamed with tears. "If my daughter was here do you think she would like to see you like this?"

I turned away and began shaking convulsively as I stared at my shoes that were stained with dirt and Selena's blood. Before I knew it, the dagger was gone from my hand, and Poseidon was caressing my hair reassuringly. Everyone was so caught up in what I almost did that they didn't notice a movement behind Aeolus. I pulled away from my dad and gasped loudly at the sight I saw. It was Selena, she was twitching wildly as if she was having a seizure.

"Selena!" I knelt beside her and everyone crowded around us. Selena's eyes fluttered and she her green-gold eyes slowly appeared. "Selena!" I hugged her tightly, happy tears falling from my eyes. She winced and I slowly pulled back, but not fully letting go of her.I don't know what just happened, but frankly I didn't care. My love was back, and that was all that mattered.

"Selena!" Aeolus, Aphrodite, and Serena exclaimed. I grunted as Poseidon gently pulled me away from the happy family.

"Give them their time," he patted my shoulder, an expression of relief on his face. Just then, black smoke arose from the ground in the center of the throne room, and Luke and Kronus emerged with a dozens of monsters behind them.

"Luke!" Hermes exclaimed and his expression hardened as he saw Kronus.

"Father," all the gods gritted their teeth and I could feel strong power coming from the immortals around me. I immediately wrapped my arms around Selena and my friends surrounded us protectively.

"Move aside, we have unfinished business." Kronus said coolly.

"You are not welcomed here," Zeus snapped.

"Well too bad, we're already here."

I swear, I never knew immortals have attitude like these.

"Give the girl back, and we'll leave peacefully." Kronus narrowed his golden eyes.

"Never," Aeolus hissed and the air grew colder. "I already found out that you planned to steal them when they were children, and I will not allow history to repeat itself."

"Very well," Kronus said angrily and suddenly the fight began. The gods and goddesses around us fought as a group against Kronus, and my friends against the monsters and Luke.

"Percy!" Thalia exclaimed as her spear crackled with electricity. "Get Selena out of here! We can take care of this."

I pursed my lips as I nodded and carried Selena out the door. I heard a swish and ducked as a Celestial Bronze knife came soaring above my head and into the door frame. I turned and saw Luke glaring.

"Are you indirectly admitting that you're a coward?" He smirked as he toyed with his Backbiter.

"Percy, don't listen to him!" Annabeth yelled as she battled a monster. "He's just provoking you!"

"Come on, Jackson," Luke taunted. "Or are you scared that I would beat you?"

I growled and gently laid Selena in a corner. "Serena! Guard her!" I yelled to Selena's twin and she nodded obediently. I then clicked my pen and advanced towards Luke. Soon, I heard the clashing of metals and the grunting of breaths as we fought. I almost forgot that Luke was a great swordsman---almost.

~~~Selena~~~
"Let me go, please!" I cried to my sister who was holding me back from helping the others. "They need me!"

"You're too weak right now!"

"I don't care!"

"Well we all do, so you have to stay here."

"No." I said defiantly and was able to pull myself free. I stood up and clutched the door frame as my knees buckled.

"Damn it," I panted tried to breathe deeply, but it hurts to even move. It didn't matter though, how could I just stay while everyone was fighting because of me? Kronus grunted and ducked as Zeus' bolt came flying overhead him. I didn't know how I did it, but I could easily tell which ones are my parents--Aeolus and Aphrodite and I felt a smile form in my face. If it wasn't for the chaos going on, I would've ran to them and hugged them. It must've been the link I have to them that I was able to recognize them. I heard Luke gasp and saw him on the floor weaponless with Percy's sword inches from his neck. I was about to finish him off when Kronus crept from behind Percy, just as he did in the cave.

"No way," I muttered and pulled the bronze knife stuck in the door frame and ran towards Percy, feeling like multiple stabs were being thrown at me. Kronus growled and lifted his scythe towards Percy. I yelled for Percy to get out of the way and jumped in front of Kronus. I heard many call my name, but all I could hear was Kronus yelp of pain as I stuck the knife in his heart just as he swung his scythe to me. He screamed in pain and started cursing in different languages as he slowly disintegrated until he was nothing more than dust particles. Blood flowed from my lips once more and I fell right into Percy's arms.

"Selena!" He screamed and I gently touched his face. Pain was hitting me from every part of my body, and I felt as if I was about to disintegrate myself.

"My daughter! My beautiful daughter!" Aphrodite cried and sobbed into Aeolus' arms.

"Why Selena, why?" Percy whispered, his voice hoarse from all the screaming and crying he did today.

"I told you," I whispered, my lids half open. "I was willing to risk my life for yours."

"Stupid girl," he sobbed and held me tighter. "I knew Kronus was behind me. I was planning to jump just as he swings his weapon down so he would hit Luke. Then I would kill the sick bastard himself."

I chuckled and winced at the pain. "I do feel stupid. Then again, if it wasn't for my endless love for you--"

Percy cut me off by placing his lips onto mine.

"Don't leave me. Please, Selena. Please don't ever leave me again." He murmured as he leaned his forehead against mine.

"Don't worry," I smiled weakly. "We'll see each other again. Someday."

"No," he said stubbornly. "I won't let you give up. I just won't."

I felt someone kneel next to me and recognized a girl with pretty blonde hair.

"Annabeth," I took a deep breath and I felt my chest being stabbed from the movement.

"Selena, please don't die." She said, crying. "I never seen Percy this happy--ever. I won't let that happiness go away."

"I'm so lucky to have such good friends," I coughed out blood and Percy cried harder, his warm tear falling on my cheeks.

I touched his face for the last time, forced a smile, and felt my hand fall on the ground as my mind went blank.

~~~Percy~~~
"No! No, no no! This cannot be happening! It can't! Not again!" I screamed and everything exploded in the room. I couldn't believe I lost her yet again. Just when I thought I was able to save her, this happens. I felt several hands on my shoulder, but I shrugged them all off. I howled in pain, as if I was feeling everything Selena was feeling a while ago.

"Percy," Poseidon placed a hand on my shoulder and I felt a wave of calmness enter me. But the hurt was too much, too powerful, that the calmness disappeared. I remembered the history Selena and I had: The first time we met was when she accidentally slammed me with a dresser's drawer, how we became hostile to each other but warmed up when we got to know each other, and how we fell in love. And now, we're going to be separated by death.

"Why does fate have to be so cruel?" I whispered, shaking in anger and sadness. "After everything we've been through, this is how it ends? Why...?"

Silence filled the room. No one dared to speak because of the cold atmosphere and the tension. No one even dared to celebrate the death of Kronus.

"Why?!" I screamed and felt the power of every sea in the world. I felt those seas crash violently, threatening to destroy mankind, but I could care less.

I glanced at Serena and she had a petrified look on her face. My vision was blurry because of the tears, but I could see her pull another bronze knife from the pocket of her jeans.

"Serena, please don't even think about what Percy was planning to do a while ago!" Aeolus whispered.

She shook her head and said, "I did so many mistakes, like betraying my friends and my own sister. I deserve to die with her. "

"Serena, be ratio--"

"No!" She exclaimed. "Besides, I learned from Luke that if one of the twins die, that twin may be revived if the other gives her life in exchange. It's the bond between them. During death, only one can stay. Therefore I decided to revive my sister. It's the least I could do after everything."

We all stared at Serena in loud silence, startled by her statement. I never knew Serena was this compassionate towards her sister.

"Serena, sweetie, please be sensible," Hera walked over to her, with an attempt to stop her. "Do you really think your sister would like you to do this? Think."

Despite Hera's attempts, Serena was very stubborn. Aeolus made a movement with his hand and the knife in Serena's hand twitched and almost fell to the ground if Serena hadn't held on to it tighter. Aphrodite pleaded to her daughter and tried to stop her but it was too late. Serena had already plunged the knife into her  chest. Her eyes widened and she smiled weakly. "Please tell my sister that I'm very, very sorry."

And with that, she fell on the floor, lifeless. Aphrodite began wailing, distraught that she lost both her daughters. Just then, a bright white orb came out of both Selena and Serena's bodies. Warm air came from the two orbs, and each seemed to be in search of something. Then, the the two orbs came closer and became one, as if they found what they were looking for. There was a blinding light, but it was clear that the one single orb entered Selena's body. The light disappeared, and silence filled the room. There was a loud cough and I looked down in my arms to see Selena stirring into consciousness.

I helped her sit up and she yawned, as if from a good sleep. "What happened," she mumbled. "I could have sworn I just--"

Her eyes passed Serena and she became speechless.

"She gave her life to revive you," Annabeth said quietly and everyone slowly nodded.

Selena's eyes widened and then it filled with tears. "No!" She screamed and slowly approached her lifeless sister. She screamed again and threw her arms around Serena. I wrapped my arms around her as she sobbed. It was the only thing I could do. "Why did you let her?!" She screamed, her eyes burning with anger. "Why the hell did you let her kill herself?!"

Suddenly, there was another light, but this time it wasn't white. It was a beautiful shade of pink and gold that filled the whole room. The light slowly dispersed and Serena appeared. Everyone gasped and I knew that we were all thinking the same thing: We were looking at Serena's spirit. But there was something different about her. Serena's skin was glowing instead of pale, she was wearing a long, golden silk dress and her long hair was tied into a high ponytail. Basically she looked stunning, even after death.

"Serena," Selena whispered with tears on her cheeks and tried to touch her sister, but only got air. "What's going on."

"Lord Zeus made me an official goddess," she smiled. We all glanced at the Lord of the Gods, and surely, there he was, standing next to Serena, beaming.

"Darling, what on earth did you do?" Hera asked.

Zeus smiled and said, "When I saw the love and caring Serena, Selena, and Percy showed, I decided it wouldn't be right to let a poor soul sacrifice herself like that. Which is why I decided to make Serena an official goddess so she could live here in Mt. Olympus as well. After all, she deserves it. But," Zeus paused and I held my breath to hear the catch. "As a result of Selena's reviving, she wouldn't be immortal anymore. I hope that's okay with you, Selena."

"It's perfectly fine, sir." Selena nodded, grinning from eat to ear. "I would rather be mortal and be with Percy than be immortal and separated from him."

Aphrodite beamed and said, "That's my girl!"

"Here's your weapon, by the way." Aeolus said and gave Selena her fan.

"Thanks, dad." Selena said and turned to her sister. She tried to touch her again, but this time, she succeeded and pulled Serena into a hug."Thank you," Selena whispered and Serena patted her sister's hair reassuringly.

"Looks like you're going to be living with mom and dad," Selena smiled. It was the first time in a long time that Selena had smiled like that, and I couldn't help but smile too.

"And it looks like you're going to live happily with Percy," Serena grinned. Selena beamed and I placed an arm around her.

"Thanks," I smiled at Serena. "For everything."

"It's the least I could do." She replied nonchalantly, but it was obvious in her face that she was loving this.

I looked at my friends and grinned. "It's over. It finally is."

"We're all going to be happy now," Selena smiled and gave Aphrodite and Aeolus a hug.

"What about Luke?" Grover asked and everyone turned to Luke, who was grimacing as Dionysus held the collar of his shirt.

"Since he's Hermes' son, he's going to have his memory erased so he can have a fresh start with all of you," Zeus replied. Hermes beamed with joy and gave Zeus a nod of thanks.

Light shone through the windows and I glanced at my watch. It was 6 in the morning.

"You all must be tired from everything that happened," Zeus said. "Now, why don't you all return to camp to rest?"

My friends and I nodded and proceeded towards the door. I really was exhausted. I guess you won't notice time flying until your body is worn out.

"One minute," Selena said and she ran back. "I promise to visit." I heard her tell Serena.

"You better," Serena grinned and the twins shared a hug.

Selena smiled and walked back to me. She took my hand and squeezed it. "I never thought there would be a happy ending."

"Me either," I smiled and placed my arm around her. I leaned my forehead against her and grinned. She grinned and placed her lips on mine.

"Two separate lives, but one destiny." I heard Aphrodite say and I couldn't help agree as I continued to kiss Selena.

We may have had separate lives, but our love for each other gave us a single destiny. A destiny that we're going to fulfill---together.