Chapter 6: Sugar

Quote of the chapter: "You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have." ~ Maya Angelou.

Song of the chapter: Bare Necessities - Phil Harris, Bruce Reitherman.

(Sam POV)

The next morning, I wake up to Quinn trying to get under my covers. "What're you doing, Princess?" I ask, sleepily. Quinn looks at me wide eyes. 

"I-I wanted a cuddle." She whispers. I chuckle and hold my arms out for her. She smiles and jumps into them. 

"Mind me going back to sleep? I'm tired. Unless you want breakfast. Are you hungry?" I ask. She doesn't answer so I look down at her, seeing her drifting into sleep. Guess she was tired too. I glance at the clock on my nightstand. 

5:47am. No wonder we're both still tired. I wrap my arms around Quinn and close my eyes again, slowly drifting to sleep.

The next time I wake up, Quinn isn't there. I get up and check my clock. 10:34am. I go to her room to look for her, but she's not there either. I go downstairs and see Quinn at the table, eating waffles, my parents watching her with an amused expression on their faces. Her plate is full of whipped cream, along with her hands and face.

I walk up to them and snatch up some plain waffles on a plate and put some jam onto them, switching that plate with Quinn's full of whipped cream one.

"Do you have any idea how much sugar is in this stuff? She had candy yesterday, and I was planning on going for ice-cream later. Do you know how much sugar that is? Too much. How much whipped cream did you put on that thing?" I rant. Dear God, I'm turning into an old parent. 

"The same amount of whipped cream that you used to put on your waffles. You hypocrite." My mom smirks. I roll my eyes and take a waffle covered in whipped cream that I took away from Quinn. Speaking of Quinn, she was happily eating her waffles, visibly not caring whether she has jam or whipped cream. 

I take a glass and pour her and myself some orange juice, Quinn happily taking it. I go into the kitchen to clean the dishes from yesterday, only to see the sink clean. I smile and go thank my parents for the favor.

Once Quinn is finished with her food, I pick her up and take her to the bathroom, with the intent of washing her up. For some reason, my mom follows and we talk about their plans for the next few days. 

"Mom, I am not taking Quinn cinema. Not for that movie anyways. If you want to watch The Fallen Kingdom, go alone with dad. Quinn is too young."

"You sure are responsible. More than you already were."

"That's what happens when you get a kid, isn't it?" 

"What's the Fallen Kingdom, Sam?" Quinn's white face looks up at me. 

"It's a movie about scary dinosaurs. Not for little princesses like you." I say as I set her down on the bathroom counter. I start filling the tub with water and bubbles, whilst continuing the conversation with my mom.

"How about the amusement park? Are we going there?" she asks. I think about it for a while. The amusement park is not just big roller coasters. I'm sure she'll be fine. Maybe I should get Austin to go too. Emma and Kaden too, Quinn obviously likes him. 

"Yes, we will, I'm inviting Austin though, and... someone else." I trail off, whilst taking Quinn's clothes off. 

"Who else?" mom narrows her eyes at me. 

"Emma, my new mom friend."

"Mom friend?"

"Yeah, yesterday at the playground, Quinn started playing with this boy called Kaden and me and her mom started talking." I say as I pick Quinn up and set her in the bathtub, letting her play with the bubbles for a while. 

"Started talking?" I turn around to see my mother smirking. 

"Yes mom, started talking, she's 26 and has a husband."

                                                                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We're watching The Jungle Book in the living room, Quinn is sitting on my lap. My mom is sitting on the other side of the sofa, and my dad is next to me. 

"This girl looks happy." He comments. 

"She is, she told me so." I answer, smiling down at my Princess. She's concentrated on the movie so she can't hear our conversation. 

A while in, Bare Necessities starts and Quinn is jumping up and down to the rhythm on my lap. "You like that song?" I ask her. She turns around to face me and nods, grinning. I grin back and cuddle her, allowing her to bring her attention back to the movie. 

Short chapter. Filler chapter. Fun chapter. I like that chapter. Okay bye.