Chapter 26 - Memory Lane

I have a feeling y'all are gonna hate me

(Sam's POV)

My bed dips as a certain somebody climbs onto it and shakes me. "Daddy. Daddy wake up." I hear.

"Go back to bed. It's too early for this." I mumble.

"Daddy it's Christmas." Quinn shakes me again. My eyes open as I look at the girl above me.

"You're not going to let me sleep, are you?" I ask.

"Nope." Quinn shakes her head.

"Thought so." I nod and sit up. I check the time. "It's seven in the morning." I groan and push her down, tickling her.

"Daddy, no, stop!" She giggles. I continue tickling her until she's gasping for breath.

"Go get dressed, I'll make breakfast." I tell her and get out of bed. Quinn nods and goes to do as she's told.

I sigh and walk downstairs to make food. Semolina sounds like a good choice.

Quinn comes downstairs in a green frilly dress. "Daddy?"

"Hmm?"

"Why was Uncle Aussie sad again? You're both sad a lot now."

"Something's up, but don't worry, we're both okay. It's just a hard time." I say, talking around the topic which I really don't want to have to tell her about. "Don't think about it. Everything's okay." I assure her, hoping she doesn't catch my lie. Is everything okay?

"Otay." Quinn shrugs and sits at the counter. I pour some semolina into a bowl and set it in front of her.

"Eat, Princess, big day today, you need strength." I smile at her and eat my own portion.

Once we're done eating, I pack the last things into a bag and we go into a car, getting ready for the long drive to my parents' house, where we will be spending Christams with them; Austin; Amelia, Austin's mom; Emma and Kaden. I avoid conversation with Quinn as much as I can, answering her questions, but not going out of the way to say anything not related to them. I can tell she's really excited about her first Christmas with a real family, and I wish I could be more coherent.

Eventually we reach our destination and get out of the car. Quinn runs up to my dad, who has his arms spread out and the biggest smile on his face. "Quinn! My favorite little girl!" He grins as he picks her up and hugs her. My mom walks up to them too, hugging her. I take our bag out of the trunk and walk towards them as well.

"Hey, I smile and hug them briefly."

"Hey, kid. What's up? You look strange." Dad asks whilst mom kisses my cheek. He noticed.

"Nothing. Just tired. Austin and Amelia already here?" I ask, surprised to see my best friend's car.

"And Emma with Kaden." Mom nods. I nod and grin as I walk into the house.

"Hola amigos!" I yell as Quinn runs up to Kaden. I notice that most gifts are already under the large Christmas tree in the corner of the living room. Austin and Amelia stand and hug me, and after them, Emma does the same.

It's amazing to see you, Sam. You look amazing." Amelia smiles up at me.

"So do you, Amelia." I smile.

I look at Austin who has been grinning at me. "Sup, you bastard." He punches my shoulder jokingly.

"Hey, Asshole." I hug him tight.