Chapter 15: School

(Quinn's POV)

"Why?" I ask as Sam puts my shoes on. 

"Quinn, we talked about this. You have to go to school." He sighs.

"Why?" I whine.

Sam looks at me. "Do you want to go live with someone else? Because if I don't send you to school then you will have to." He says. I can tell he is getting angry by my whining.

"What if they don't like me?" I ask after we get in the car.

"If the other children don't like you, don't worry about it. You'll have Kaden right by your side, I'm sure he'll play with you." Sam starts the car and I wave the house goodbye.

Today is my first day at school. Summer ended and I have to go, also so that Sam can go to work properly. I really don't want to go to school, but I don't want to go live with someone else. I love Sam. Even when he makes me go to school.

Sam parks his car near a big, colorful building and gets out. He takes out a blue backpack he bought for me and opens the door for me to get out. I do so and hug his leg. "I don't wanna go." I hide my face in his leg. He sighs and pulls me away. He crouches down so that our eyes are at the same level.

"Princess," He sighs and moves some hair out of my face, "It'll be okay, you'll have fun. You can play with Kaden. Just do what the teacher says and be a good girl. I'll take you to Book City if you are." He promises and puts the backpack on me. I pout. He chuckles and kisses my forehead. "Don't be pouty." He picks me up and starts walking towards the building. 

I hug him tight.

We get to the door where a lot of children are playing and mommas and daddies are talking. "Quinn!" Someone calls my name. I turn to see who it is. It is Kaden. I hide my face in Sam's neck. 

Sam chuckles and sets me on the ground. "Go play with Kaden before school starts." 

Kaden holds out his hand for me. I take it and he leads me to a seesaw. "Lets swing" He says. He lets me get on first and then jumps onto his seat. We start playing on the seesaw.

Then a loud sound is made. I jump. "That's the school bell." Kaden says. "It's time to go inside" He says and stands on his tiptoes so I can get off. Then he leads me back to Sam.

"I don't wanna go." I tell Sam again.

"I know sweetheart," He crouches in front of me, "But you have to. Just like I have to go to work." He hugs me tight and kisses my hair. I kiss his cheek. "I'll pick you up in no time." He smiles and gently pushes me towards the door. There is a lady smiling down at me and the other children. 

Kaden comes to stand beside me. He grabs my hand. "Come on." He smiles and pulls me forward. 

"What if they don't like me?" I ask Kaden.

"Then I'll beat them up." He shrugs and pulls me inside. I wave goodbye to Sam and follow.

We follow the lady and get into a room. The walls are rainbow and there is a big red carpet and a lot of tables and chairs. There's even toys in it. She tells us to sit on the carpet, so we do. She looks pretty. She has long, dark hair and a big smile. 

"Hello children," She smiles at us. "My name is Miss. Van Olden, and I will be your teacher!" She chirps. "I'm sure we'll have a lot of fun this year. We will learn all about numbers and letters. For now, lets all sit in a circle and get to know each other." Kaden pulls me to sit somewhere else and all the children sit in a circle with Miss Van Olden kneeling in the blank spot.

"What we're gonna do, is we're gonna have this little ball and pass it around in a circle. If you have the ball. you're going to tell everybody else your name and a few things about yourself." She smiles. "I'll start. As I said, my name is Miss. Van Olden, and I have a puppy. I like walking in the park and ice cream." She chuckles. "Do you have any questions?"