Chapter 29: The End (part 2)

(Sam's POV)

At first, I felt numb, but it was only a matter of seconds, before the pain kicked in. It felt like my life shattered right in front of me. I screamed. 

It wasn't until the Doctor started speaking that I noticed Quinn was gone. I knew where she went. It hurt, trying to explain. Her screams and cries only made it worse. 

As I sat on the bed, I waited for him to wake. I waited for him to laugh and say something along the lines of 'gotcha'. He didn't. 

And that maybe hurt the most.

****

The Doctor comes in and asks to talk. Despite my anger towards him, I comply and step out the room.

"I would just like you to know that we tried everything we could. Unfo-" He starts.

"Don't. I don't need any of the pity and sadness. You didn't know him. You don't get to feel the grief." I snap.

He stares at me. "I understand this is hard-"

"No you don't. You don't. You didn't just find out your best friend, your brother died! You were supposed to save him! You said there was a way to save him!"

(Flashback)

"I have a proposal." The Doctor says right after the check up. Quinn is in the waiting room.

Austin and I turn to him. "Go on."

"We are trying to create a chemical that improves the job of a defibrillator, somewhat of a Defibrillation shot, but it hasn't been tested. We know it can't make anything worse, but we can't guarantee it will make anything better. If, and let's hope it doesn't come to this, your heart stops and death is imminent, we can inject the chemical into you, and hope for the best." He explains.

"Yes. Do it." I nod. 

Austin nudges me. "I don't have a say in this?" He smirks.

"Nope." I smile.

We laugh and he nods. "Yes. If you need to, test your chemical, but if it works, I don't want publicity." He says.

(End of Flashback)

"I said we can try. It wasn't a definite win. Just a hypothesis regarding restarting a heart. We injected the chemical, but it didn't work. It was an experiment that failed." He explains. "I understand your anger Mr. Parker."

I sigh and pull on my hair. "I know. I'm sorry. I just can't process this" I mutter.

"I understand. It is hard on you, and I haven't lost a best friend, but I have lost many patients. And it doesn't hurt less with each person. That's one more person I couldn't save. One more person that died." He sighs. "And I'm truly sorry."

We talk for a few minutes before a nurse comes up to us. "Should we call the family?" She asks.

"I'll do it" I reply before the doctor can. I take my phone out and dial Amelia's number, to give her the worst news she will ever get in her life.