Chapter 19 - Jealous

(Quinn's POV)

I'm going to school again today. I really didn't want to go, but daddy says that I'm going and that's final. "But daddy! You'll miss me!" I try to convince him to let me stay.

"I know I will, but I'd miss you even more if they take you away because I don't send you to school." He says. I make a sad face, hoping he'll change his mind, but daddy smiles and tells me to stop pouting. I sigh and do as he says.

Daddy puts me shoes on and hands me my coat. I put it on and we go to school. We walk to school this time. Miss Van Olden says hello to me when we get there and shows me to go inside.

"Where is Kaden?" I ask.

"Inside already. Go on, join him." She tells me.

I give daddy a kiss on his cheek and slowly walk to class. Kaden is playing with some girl. I think her name is Mae. He's telling her something funny. She's laughing. I frown. Kaden is MY best friend. Why is he with her? 

I sit in my seat. It has my name on it. Miss Van Olden stuck it on yesterday. I know what my name looks like. Kaden's name is next to mine. When Miss Van Olden comes to class and the older lady, who I didn't notice before, leaves, Kaden sits in his seat.

"Hi Quinn!" He waves. I cross my arms and turn away to him. "Hey, what's wrong?" He asks. I don't answer. Kaden shrugs.

On playtime, Kaden is playing with Mae again. They are playing ball. I sit on the ground angrily. Miss Van Olden kneels next to me. "Quinn, will you tell me what is wrong?" She asks. I shake my head. She tries to get me to tell her but I don't. She sighs and leaves.

The ball rolls towards me and Mae comes and gets it. "Hi." She smiles at me. I stand up and walk towards her. Then I use all my strength and push her. She falls on the ground and starts crying.

"Quinn!" Miss Van Olden shouts and runs towards us. She helps Mae up and starts calming her down.

Kaden walks up to me. He crosses his arms. "That was really mean." He tells me. I push him too. H efalls but doesn't cry. Miss Van Olden picks Mae up and tells Kaden to go inside, after making sure he is okay. She grabs my hand and takes me inside and leaves another teacher to stay with everyone else.

We get to class and she tells me to apologize. I don't. She waits for the other teacher to come back and leaves.

She comes back after time and takes Mae, Kaden and me to a smaller room. After more time, Kaden's Momma comes inside. Then another lady - Mae's Momma. Then daddy. Daddy looks the most upset. Miss Van Olden tells them what happened. Daddy asks me why. I don't answer. He says sorry to Mae's Momma and Kaden's Momma. 

They say it's okay, that I'm just a kid. Daddy apologizes again and takes me home.

He grabs my hand when we get home and takes me upstairs. He sits me on my bed. "I'm going to ask one time and I expect and answer." Daddy says harshly. "Why did you push Mae and Kaden?" I shrug. "Answer me. Now." Daddy says.

"Because Kaden was playing with Mae. He's MY friend! I shout.

"Do you think I get angry when Austin goes to play with someone else and not me?" Daddy asks. I nod. "No, I don't. Because if someone is a real friend, then it doesn't matter. Kaden is allowed to have other friends and so are you. Besides, I'm not sure he wants to be your friend anymore. You were really mean." Daddy tells me.

"Good! I don't like him anymore!" I shout. Daddy sighs and stands up.

"I thought we could solve this the nice way, but I guess you don't want that." He says. He picks me up and takes me to another room. That's where his momma and daddy sleep when they come. He sits me on the bed. "You're only allowed to leave this room when I say so. You'' stay in here until you decide to apologize to Kaden, Mae and Miss Van Olden. And me. Plus another few hours, so that it sinks in. Let me know if you need the bathroom." Daddy says, ignoring my sad and scared face. He leaves and closes the door.

I sit on the bed and sniff. I hate this room. I want to hate daddy too, but I can't. I knock on the door. Daddy opens it. "I'll say sorry." I mutter. Daddy nods. "I want out." I tell him.

"No." Daddy says simply and closes the door again. My lip shakes and I start crying. I don't argue with daddy. Daddy could hurt me if he wanted to. 

I sit on the bed and look at my feet. After big time, daddy calls my name. I get out of the room. I walk downstairs. Daddy is in the kitchen. "Eat. When you're finished, go back to the room." He says and points to my plate. I sit at the counter and eat my lunch. Then daddy remids me to go back to the room. I go sadly.

After time, I need the bathroom. "Daddy!" I call. "Daddy! Daddy!" I call until he comes. He opens the door.

"What is it?" He asks.

"Bathroom." I say. He lets me out for a five minutes.

I stay in the room until its dark. Daddy has been bringing food to me. Daddy calls me. I go downstairs to him. He's working on his laptop on the couch. He puts the laptop away when he sees me and tells me to come closer. I do so slowly. I can't tell whether he is still angry at me.

"Why were you in the other room today?" He asks.

"Because I was mean." I answer.

Daddy nods. "I don't EVER want to get a phone call from school telling me you've been mean. Do you understand?"

I nod.

"I don't hear you." Daddy raises an eyebrow.

"Yes."

"Good. Go put your shoes on." Daddy says. I run and put them on.

We go to the shop. Daddy takes fancy chocolates and tells me to get chocolates for Kaden and Mae. I do that.

Daddy pays and we go home. He puts all the chocolates in my bag. "You're gonna give them to Miss Van Olden, Kaden and Mae tomorrow, and you're going to say sorry to all of them." He orders. I nod.

Daddy kneels in front of me. He spreads his arms for a hug. I look at him, wondering if it's a trick. Maybe if I come to close, he'll finally beat me. I'm a bad girl. Daddy looks confused. "I'm not upset or angry with you. I'm just upset with what you did." He promises. He kisses my forhead and I let him hug me.