New Plan

When I reach my dorm, I realize that I never got a chance to answer John's question about how I ended up in the infirmary. I pull out my phone and speed dial John. The phone rings and rings. He does not pick up.

I drop off my backpack –my homework can wait— and grab my gym gear. I think I can guess where John is. After reaching the gym and changing into my Adidas black shorts and bright blue Adidas t-shirt, I see John on the other side of the room near the freestanding punching bags.

"Hey, John!"

He turns around quickly at his name, already in the process of throwing a punch. I duck underneath and it swings past my head, barely missing me.

"Shoot, Eloise! Don't sneak up on me like that!"

"I wanted to see what you were up to. Dr. Darren released me from the infirmary so I thought we could talk more since our lunch was too short."

"Eloise, I doubt the Doc wanted you to go to the gym."

"Yeah. But he's not here, is he? What he doesn't know won't hurt him. Plus, I'm just here to be a spotter or hold a punching bag, neither of which should aggravate my injuries."

"Fine. Now tell me, why did I find you in the infirmary? Did it have anything to do with your meeting with Blyke, Isen, and Remi? If they hurt you, they'll have me to deal with."

"No, it wasn't them. Our conversation went well, and they want to change things at Wellston. They are seeing the inherent problems in the hierarchy, though they don't quite see eye to eye with you."

He scoffs hard.

"That's putting it mildly. Its all well and good that they are seeing the problem, but they have been blind for years! I didn't peg you as the gullible type, Eloise. A leopard can't change its spots."

"Well, I'm not going to give up on them, John. Or you. How did your talk with Seraphina go?"

John resumes punching with a renewed ferocity.

"Horribly. She stormed off and she has been ignoring me since. She has skipped all the classes we have in common and the only time I saw her today was at lunch with you and Elaine. And you saw how she looked at me."

"Yeah, she looked pretty upset with you. What did you say?"

"Why do you always assume I said something?"

"Ninety-nine percent of the time, you are the one to say something, John. Remember I've known you for quite a while. The only one who knows you for longer may be your dad, but he would agree with me on this too."

The freestanding punching bag was starting to show wear and tear, as rips in the plastic covering began to release small poofs of white fluff with every punch. I grabbed the punching bag to steady it and held it in place as John continued his onslaught.

"I messed up Eloise. She gave me a chance to explain myself and I let my anger get the best of me, and now I may not get another opportunity to do so again."

I released the punching bag and placed my hand over John's lowering his guard position so that he was just standing with them at his sides.

"John, we can't change the past, but we can make sure we don't repeat past mistakes. Take some time away from Seraphina and try to find yourself again. Think back to what you envisioned for yourself here at Wellston. A new school. A fresh start. Now try to recapture that attitude. You do not have pretend to be a cripple to be a better you. You just have to remember what it is you wanted to change about yourself and keep working on achieving that."

"Thanks, Eloise. I'm glad you're here with me. I miss your commonsense approach to problems."

"You're welcome, John. I'm happy to be here too. My old school is boring compared to the last few days here at Wellston."

He moves away to look me up and down again.

"That reminds me. You keep evading my question. Who hurt you?"

"I'll tell you, but you have to promise not to take any matters into your own hands, or those of Joker. Do you promise?"

"You know I won't make that promise. This is serious Eloise, someone put you in the infirmary and you want me to do nothing?"

"Yes, I know you will want to protect me but I can handle this on my own. I'm telling you this so you don't find out from anyone else."

"Just tell me already!"

"It was Arlo."

"Arlo! That good-for-nothing! He needs to learn to leave people alone. He started all this!"

John is quickly becoming furious; I can see his eyes beginning to glow. If I don't do something, he will probably put Arlo in the hospital, if not worse.

"John, listen to me. I'm alright, by tomorrow you won't even know I spent the day in the infirmary."

I grab his shoulders and make him look me in the eye to see how serious I am. Slowly his shoulders relax under my grip and his eyes return to their original burnt gold color.

"I'm sorry Eloise, I just don't want you to end up like Seraphina. I was not able to protect her and everything I've done since then has all been turned upside down. Why can't I do anything right?"

He rips off his hand wrappings and starts walking away. Luckily, we were the only ones in that part of the gym so most of the conversation went unheard. I follow John to the water fountain where he is getting a well-deserved drink. His t-shirt is soaked through with sweat from his workout and his hair is all ruffled.

I bend down and whisper so only he can hear what I say.

"I am here now too, so you won't have to do this alone. Remi, Isen, and Blyke are already trying their best to stop the bullying they see. You have been watching out for Seraphina but now she's ignoring you. I'll look out for her discreetly in between classes instead, and that can give you both time to figure out how you want to proceed with your friendship. She's always had you as a friend, maybe this will allow you to regain her trust."

He straightens, wipes away the remaining water, and gives me a short, awkward hug before he leaves to return to his dorm. I make my way back as well, not at all enthusiastic about the missed work I have to catch up on my second day of school.