New School, Same Girl, Same Boy?

"Yeah. We make a great team."

--------------------------------------

A bright ray of sunlight juts out from between two clouds and I am brought back into the present. Keene, Wellston's head of security, had been showing me around the campus. It was unusual for the head of security to involve himself with the lowly task of escorting a new transfer. Generally, this is left to a senior student. It was not the first thing I saw that morning that told me that something is amiss.

I had been told to come for a half-day to get myself acquainted with the school before I began on Monday. As the clock struck twelve, I met Keene at the school gates. It was a lovely spring day and yet as I approached the school no one was outside. The halls I passed were all deserted as Keene pointed out the main office, the principal's office, and the classrooms where I would have class. We stopped by for a minute at the infirmary and Keene told me that if I was ever injured that I would be in good hands with Doctor Darren. I was not allowed in though as the doctor soon came out and drew Keene aside. They whispered something for a few moments. It sounded like the infirmary was full, and Keene would have to show me the infirmary another time but that he should come back later as they needed to discuss some urgent matters.

My stomach growled and Keene decided to head to the cafeteria. There, students were clustered in groups, whispering and sneaking furtive glances at other groups from time to time when they pass each other on the way to their tables. More than once I have heard the name "Joker" mentioned, then quickly shushed and silence.

Who is this Joker?

We each took a sandwich and a soda but decided to go outside to enjoy them. We sat on an empty picnic bench and ate silently. Keene seemed distracted as if his thoughts were in a hundred different locations. I closed my eyes. I could sense that he was using his ability though his eyes remained their light blue. It was a soft pulse that he was sending out and listening as it came back. Like echolocation for bats. Interesting, if only I could see him with his powers activated. Suddenly, it seemed like something caught his attention.

Taking one last bit, Keene finished his lunch and said "Welcome to Wellston, Ms. Mercia. Study hard and stay out of trouble. See you on Monday." He got up and walked away, towards the main building where we had walked past the principal's office a short while ago.

I took a huge bite, stuffed the rest of my sandwich in its paper bag, capped my drink, and placed everything in my backpack. What was going on? What had he sensed?

I took off towards the main building when I heard it. A crunch! A scream. It was coming from one of the smaller buildings. I changed direction and headed towards the sounds. When I arrived, I saw a crowd of students, so huddled together that I could not see the fight. I jostled my way past students too curious for their own good.

I could sense that they were weak. Low-tiers. Mid-tiers. It did not matter. This fight's aura told me someone or several powerful people were involved. Finally, I elbowed my way to the front, and I saw him.

The Joker. It must be. Tall, dark, with a black mask and a nondescript school uniform. Fighting off not one, not two but ten high-tiers. But those moves. I had seen those moves before.

John?????