Licking My Wounds

Evie gently walked me back to my room and sat me down on my bed. She went back for the first aid kit. By this point, I had gone to my closet and removed by bathrobe and my shower supplies. Even though I had not been buried in the ground, my uniform was covered in dirt and grass stains at my knees and elbows. I would have to replace the clothes soon and hope that my two spare uniforms did not get damaged in the meanwhile.

Evie helps me remove my teal jacket, followed by my grey vest and white button-up shirt leaving me bare except for my periwinkle bra. She sucks a deep breath in as she sees the extent of the bruise that I can feel span my back from my left shoulder down to my right hip.

"Eloise? I know Remi is going to walk with you to see Dr. Darren tomorrow morning, but this bruise looks terrible. Maybe I should call an Uber and get you to the hospital?"

I put my hand over Evie's hand which rests on my shoulder, and calmly reply, "There's no need. It does not hurt that bad, and a cold compress will bring down the swelling and a hot shower will help it clear up in a couple of days."

Evie doubtfully continues to survey my injuries. My eye looks even worse now, its swollen lids completely obstructing my vision. My bloodied lip has clotted but the blood that dripped down the side of my mouth gives me the appearance of a vampire after a feeding.

She helps me remove my skirt and socks and then turns away while I remove the remainder of my clothes and slid on my bathrobe. Never have I been more thankful for buying such a soft, pillowy bathrobe. I feel enveloped in a cloud; the only thing better would be laying in a pile of warm freshly laundered clothes.

The first aid kit has a carrying strap that Evie places over her shoulder so that she can have both hands free to help me to the bathroom. Since it is midnight on a Monday night, the bathroom is once again empty. While I could probably handle myself in a fight again, especially against those two girls who jumped me last time, I would rather avoid an altercation with Evie nearby. She could get hurt and it would be on my conscience.

We find an empty shower and she helps me inside, turning on the water and adjusting the temperature to cold, but not teeth-chattering cold. I let the cold-water wash away the dirt and sweat off my body as the cold water reduces the swelling in my bruises. After I feel that the swelling has subsided enough, I turn the knob so that the water becomes tepid, using the increased heat to relax my muscles.

Finally, I turn off the water and step out of the shower. Evie is outside waiting for me and she has prepared gauze and wrappings for the lacerations on my arms and legs. I sit down beside her on a wooden slabbed bench near the showers. Evie pats down the areas beside the cuts and gently lays down gauze before wrapping.

"Thank you, Evie. You've been a godsend."
"No problem. Let's get you in bed so you can rest. You should not be on your feet right now."

As we walk back to our room I ask Evie a question that had been on my mind since I saw how skilled she was in bandaging my wounds.

"Evie, how did you get so adept at first aid?"
Flustered, Evie misses a step and releases her hold on me which causes me to rapidly lose my balance. Falling to my knees, I extend out my right hand to catch myself from hitting my face.

Evie bends down to help me stand back up.
"Oh I'm so sorry Eloise. Are you hurt? I'm so so so sorry."
She was spiralling.
"Evie, it's not your fault. I should mind my own business. If you don't want to talk about it, I shouldn't press you."

We begin walking again, no longer exchanging words until we enter our room and she leaves me on my bed. She sits down next to me and starts to speak.

"I'm not like you Eloise. When I was first told I had a roommate I was so excited. I thought you would be like me. But you're not. You involve yourself in groups that I'd never dare be a part off. The truth is I've always been a low tier and everything that comes with that designation. Mid-tier have picked on me since grade school. The nurses had gotten sick of seeing me so they started just dumping a first aid kit in my hands and then ignoring me. That's how I got so good at first aid."

I wrap my arms around her ignoring the pain as my back stretches. I try to envelop her in as warm a hug as I can muster, trying to provide her with comfort as she had done when she looked after me.

"Evie, I want you to know that just as you were here for me tonight so too will I be there for you on any night."