From Monarchy To Democracy

"The system is broken; we see that now. What should we do to fix it?"

I open the window and extend my hand. I close my eyes and picture the lodgepole pine, the magnificent Pinus contorta, a tall, slender ubiquitous tree. The reason why my mind fixates on this species because it is a highly adaptable tree that is among the first to reappear after a fire. Additionally, it can grow in all variety of environments, from water-logged bogs to dry sandy soils. As it grows, I grab one of its seed cones, an egg-shaped cone that has sharp prickles at the tips.

Holding it out gently, I extend it towards Isen, Blyke, and Remi.

"Do you know what I am holding?"

They stare at the cone, confused at my question.

Blyke is the first to respond, "A cone?"

"Yes, but it is a serotinous cone, an incredibly special cone. This is the cone of the Lodgepole pine, whose seal of resin requires fire or intense heat to release the seeds.

Isen still does not understand and asks, "What does any of this have to do with Wellston and the violence?"

"It is a symbol that all is not lost. Even as violence sweeps through Wellston, we have the possibility to rebuild. But to start I want to ask what, if anything, has been done to ameliorate the situation."

"We have tried our best to stop all of the bullyings that we have seen in the hallways. Isen, Blyke, and I have taken to pulling aside the fake Jokers after stopping the fights and unmasking them."

"Have they given reasons as to why they are donning the Joker mask?"

"Yes, a few have said that it is because they were sick of being pushed around by the mid-tiers. Some have been made to do the work of others and then been beaten up if they refuse or the work is not good enough."

"So other than unmasking the fake Jokers, how have you handled the situation?"

"Well, the three of us would not be enough to oversee the whole school so we asked a lot of other high tiers to help us, like Meili, Ventus, and Zeke."

I am unconvinced and from the tone of Remi's voice, even she seems skeptical that such actions will be enough.

"Maybe this could work but have you thought about the dangers of placing wolves to watch over sheep? You are placing even more powerful students in charge of stopping these fake Jokers when it seems like these students have been wearing Joker masks to fight back against their bullies. If you put high-tiers to monitor and stop low-tiers from finally standing up to mid-tiers are you not making the problem worse?"

Remi started to say something then changed her mind and said nothing. Isen and Blyke were just as responsive.

"The hierarchy has been allowing this perpetuation of violence and you have to see that to let the hierarchy exist as it has will not fix this problem. We need to democratize the school."

"What do you mean 'democratize the school'?" Blyke asked.

"I mean we need to eliminate the hierarchy and put people in positions of responsibility by merit, not strength. We need a system by the people, for the people. Wellston's King will be the student most deserving of the responsibilities of being King, not just the most powerful male student in the school. Power does not equal wisdom. As John Dalberg-Acton once said, 'Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely'. His observations show that sometimes a person's sense of morality diminishes as their power increases."

I hand out a cone to Isen, Blyke, and Remi.

"Currently by virtue of your abilities you hold a lot of sway at Wellston. Now it is up to you to make sure that the rest of the student body makes it out of this fire to grow anew."

"What are you going to do, Eloise?" Isen queried.

"I hope that we can be allied in this cause. I will do my best to get everyone involved. I realize that this will not be easy, but we have a chance to do something here at Wellston that will set the example for all other schools in the country. We can tear down the monarchy and build a democracy. Who is with me?"

Isen, Blyke, and Remi rise and join me in the center of the room. Bringing our hands to the center we overlap them in a symbol of unity. For the first time since coming to Wellston, I feel a sense of harmony. I would be kidding myself if I were to say that convincing the rest of the Wellston student body would be this easy but at least the first step is accomplished.

I back away and go to pick up my school bag. The sun had started to set, and it is almost eight.

"I have to go now. Arlo challenged me to a fight at eight. If you need to reach me, I left my number on the cone."

They look at the cones I had handed to them and see that underneath, carved into the cone scale there are numbers.

"Arlo wants to fight you? What happened?" Isen demands.

"If you want to know I'll give you the shortened version on the way. I don't want to be late."