Monday Breakfast

Monday morning hit me like a truck, and I was just peeling myself off the street when Evie politely knocked at my door to tell me that she was heading off to breakfast in the cafeteria.

"Would you like for me to bring you back some breakfast, Eloise?"

"No." My voice betrayed me, coming out as a squeak. I cleared my voice and tried again.

"No thanks, Evie. I'll be up in a few and I'll see you there."

I rubbed my eyes and gave a big yawn. I definitely needed to get a move on. Being late on the first day is not the kind of first impression I'll like to give.

I set my pressed uniform out on the bed and grabbed my things and headed towards the washroom. With an almost military-like efficiency, I took a cold shower to wake up, brushed my teeth and hair (with their appropriate brushes, I'll never make that mistake again), and then returned to the room to change.

In less than ten minutes I was out the door in my uniform with my school bag over my shoulder. In my hand, I had a couple of daises that I meticulously braided into my hair as I skipped to lunch. My first day at Wellston Prep was about to begin!!!

Passing through the swinging doors of the cafeteria, I spotted the breakfast buffet and a smattering of students. I was a bit disappointed by the lack of potential friends I'd get to meet over breakfast. However, I knew that high school students are normally not morning persons. And who was I to judge, having woken up late due to my excursion the night before?

I spotted Evie at a table near the windows on the east side of the cafeteria, so the sun was shining down over her. She had already been joined by Roland and Terrance. Sera was nowhere in sight. I gave a friendly wave, and they waved back.

Approaching the breakfast buffet, I grabbed a plastic tray and two plates, a large mug and one bowl, the maximum that could fit on the tray. I scooped some hot oatmeal, spooned some fresh berries over it and drizzled amber honey on top. My first plate consisted of two poached eggs, a couple of sausages, and several pieces of buttered toast. The following plate I piled on a variety of cheeses- brie, goat cheese, and white cheddar- as well as dried nuts and a dollop of some apple jelly with a side of crackers. Lastly, I added hot chocolate into my mug, opting to avoid the coffee offered.

As I made my way back towards Evie's table, I had a feeling that someone was watching me. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a foot being extended out to trip me as I walked past. Fortunately, I had a good hold over the tray and I recovered my balance. A bit of my hot chocolate had spilled over, but not enough to make me cry over spilled milk.

I straightened and looked at the girl. It was the same girl from the bathroom altercation; I remembered that bob cut. What did she want?

"Oh 'scuse me. I did not see you there."

Her false sweet voice grated my ears. How I hated such phony, insincere people. Did they really think that we could not see through their behavior? Who did they think they were fooling?

"I don't believe we've been introduced. My name is Eloise. What's yours?"

I perfectly balanced my large tray of food on my left hand as I extend my right. My time as a waitress has come in handy more than once, but especially when I must juggle food.

From her sudden expression change, I can tell that my response has surprised her. Regaining her composure, she puts on a sneer and responds with a curt, "Illena."

"Nice to meet you, Illena. Now if you'll excuse me..."

And I walk away before she has a chance to respond. I can feel her fuming as she drags her chair back and sits down, slamming her fist on the table. The best way to deal with attention seekers like Illena is to remove the oxygen from the fire and walk away. If she wants to engage, I will deal with her on my own time, not hers.

I reach Evie's table and pull out a chair to sit down.

"What happened over there? Did Illena pick on you? She picks on all the new kids."

As she says this, Roland and Terrance nod their heads in agreement.

"Just a little misunderstanding. I met her this weekend in the washroom, but we didn't introduce ourselves. Now, with our second run-in I made sure to get her name."

Evie nods, uncertain how to respond to my cavalier attitude. My eggs are getting cold, so I dig in, my munching a sign that the conversation about Illena has ended.

From two tables away, I heard a loud whisper.

"Blyke, I thought that you had been eating a lot. Well, the new girl's giving you a run for your money. She has a whole tray full!"

As I glance up, my eyes meet those of a boy with golden eyes and crimson hair. The Jack of Wellston!