A Conversation in the Shower

Birds chirping outside my bedroom window woke me up the following morning. With a yawn and a stretch, I flipped over my covers and got out of bed. I had set up John in the living room last night and Evie had not been in her room, I had assumed that she had gone to stay with a friend. I would have to get her number in the future so that I could see if she was ok and to warn her of guests.

I tidied up my bed and grabbed my clothes and shower caddy to get ready for the day. As an early riser, I was sure to have the showers to myself this Saturday morning. I could spend a good hour shampooing my hair, shaving my legs and armpits, as well as soaking. It was my favorite place to meditate and focus on mindfulness.

I sunk through the living room not wanting to wake up John, but he was asleep like a log and drooling. The pizza boxes and dishes were scattered about the living room and kitchen area, so I quickly gathered them up, recycling the boxes and cardboard plates. I scanned the room to make sure that it was no longer messy. Placing my flip flops on my feet I headed towards the showers.

I was right. The showers were completely empty, so I grabbed the largest shower stall and placed my caddy on the side. I fell into my old routine so when two other girls walked in together, my attention was only peeked when I heard the word Joker.

"Did you hear about the fight yesterday? I was in class, but my roommate's friend was there, and she told me all about it?"

"Yeah, I was there but I was so in the back that I did not see any of the action. And then I heard a girl tell us to clear out and everyone was pushing this way and that and I was forced back without even seeing who was speaking. What did they say happened?"

"Well, for one thing there's a new girl. Looking at her you would not think that she is very powerful as she is quite small and frail. She has long brown hair that blends and becomes red at the tips. My friend says she may even be strong enough to defeat Remi and be the new Wellston Queen."

"A new Queen? We do not even know who the new King is! That Joker character defeated Arlo and we still do not even know who replaced him. Now we have a new girl, who we also know nothing about as a new Queen. Unbelievable! Where are all these high-tiers coming from? I thought Wellston had the best of the best."

"No idea. Anyway, that is not even the most worrisome detail. Sarah said that the girl knew the Joker and called him J. "

"She knows the Joker?"

"Yes! And she is the one who stopped the fight. She drew up a huge green hedge and convinced the Joker to stop fighting. They left together, no one saw where but there is a rumor that she took him back to the girls' dorm."

"What! He's here!"

"Shhh. Not so loud. Someone might hear. There's someone else in the shower."

That was my cue. I rinsed off the suds in my hair, turned off the water and squeezed out the remaining water in my hair. I wrapped my yellow, flowery towel around my body, covering myself from chest to mid-thigh, and stepped out of the shower cabin.

"Hi! Nice to meet you. My name is Eloise" I say with a smile, extending my hand towards the girls.

The girl who had heard about me recovered from her shock first.

"Uh. Hi, my name is Becky, and this is my friend Kylie." She did not look like she was going to shake my hand, so I quickly changed tactic and gave a friendly wave.

"It's a beautiful day isn't it?"

"Yes, very sunny."

I go to one of the sinks next to the girls and grab my toothbrush and place a small pea-sized amount of toothpaste on the end of it. I start brushing my teeth and turn back to the girls.

"So, what do you guys do on the weekend?"

It comes out a bit distorted due to the vibrations of the mechanical toothbrush but the other girl, Kylie responds.

"Mostly we go to cafes or the mall. There's a lot of indie stores in town that are fun to browse through."

"Brilliant. I will definitely plan on visiting them. Thanks!"

I finish brushing my teeth, wrap my body in my bathrobe and remove the towel to wrap my hair. I wave bye to the girls and head back to my room. As the door closes, I hear a whisper from the girls.

"She's so friendly. Why is she friends with the Joker?"