Chapter 16: Vatican City

They weren't sure what to expect, it was certainly not the special treatment they got. The guard had pointed out to them where to go and they had gone to see the fathers, Cardinal, pope, nuns and anyone else who could possibly help. The stood before the cardinal and asked for his help.
"We're looking for anything written on the subject of angels, angel-kissed, archangels, Angelings, Nephilim..."
"Yes, the fathers of Notre Dame write, explaining you had a bond of some sort you were concerned about."
"Did he also explain the reason for such questions, why we're here asking you?" Aislinn asked.
"No."
"It is no legend, the things we ask about." The Cardinal suddenly stopped, staring at Aislinn.
"What is on your neck?" He asked standing. She blinked and her hand rose to the mark. She pulled her jacket to reveal the silvery star.
"You are angel-kissed."
"I am, which is why I'm asking." He studied her face."
"I've seen you before, recently, I swear." It's a new painting, new to us, but over 500 years old.
"It is called the dream."
"Aislinn."
"Yes it means dream."
"No, it's my name, Aislinn. Can we see the painting?" He showed them and gasped when Aislinn suddenly turned sideways. Her hair, her profile was identical to that of the painting. She looked as shocked as Michael did.
"I don't understand how this is possible."
"Neither do we. This is the second time we've come across a painting of ourselves."
"The first?"
"Was in Paris. We got chased all over Paris for it."
"I see. And what did this painting look like?" Michael pulled out a camera and scrolled through to find the painting. The Cardinal took the camera and his eyebrows rose. He glanced up at them.
"This is quite odd. I'll put in a request for you to talk with some of the scholars."
"Thank you." Both said and the man nodded.
"Of course. Is there an address I can reach you?"
"Of course. We're staying in Rome for awhile. Here's the address." Michael handed it to him and then guided Aislinn outside. They headed back toward Michael's apartment. They once again were playing tourists. They traveled all over Rome to different museums, laughing and enjoying themselves. Michael didn't feel pressured to act like the warrior angel he was, he could love her completely, without reserve, in the human world. They had gone on a short trip down to Venice and Verona. Michael smiled up at the balcony where Juliet had stood. Aislinn looked at him in question.
"Oh, it's just nice. They found a way to show everyone what love should always be."
"That it should kill you?"
"No. Love without reserve. Love that doesn't depend on names or alliances, love that's there at first glance, willing to hold to each other through death and grief, love so strong that they didn't care who they were, just that they were together." Aislinn pressed a kiss to his cheek.
"What?"
"That was completely romantic." He scratched the back of his head.
"Oh." They walked on.
"Is that the kind of love you wanted, the kind you had for God?" Michael nodded.
"When I came here, he made me a promise. That I could live a normal life, have friends, a place to live in, a purpose, and a family. He promised that I would have the love Rachel and Jacob shared, the love of Rebecca and Issac, and of Sarah and Abraham and Mary and Joseph. He promised a love that would last forever."
"So why are you traveling with me? Don't you want that?"
"Aislinn...you are her. You are the girl I grew to love, the one I would do anything for. I am not used to this idea of affection, of expressing my emotions. I was a born a warrior, and I shall remain that way. It just took time for me to realize that showing love did not make me weaker, it made me stronger. You make me stronger." He took her face in his hands.
"I love you Aislinn, I always will. Never doubt that." He leaned forward kissing her. She kissed back instantly. He wrapped his arms around her, and she pressed herself into his chest.
"I..." she was interrupted as the crowd surged around them. Michael pulled her tighter, panicked. He pulled them out of the crowd and into a back alley. He pulled her up into his arms, and took off. It was sunset, dark enough to obscure him, but light enough for him to take them back to Rome. She had their stuff in her bag. They were tired, but it didn't matter to them. They'd shared beds out of necessity before, but here it was different. He was already in bed, and when she came back, he expected her to climb into her own bed. She turned out the light, and then startled him, climbing into his bed. It was big enough for the both of them, but he didn't understand why she was in his bed. She turned to him, hesitating. And he understood. He wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling her into his chest. She smiled, pressing her hand right over his heart. She laid her head on his chest, keeping close. He liked having her this close. He drifted off, her wrapped securely in his arms.
Her legs were tangled in his, and his hands were pressed to the bare skin of her back, underneath her t-shirt. Her breath ghosted over his bare chest. He pressed his lips to her hair, and then he waited for her to wake up.

Something had changed between them, he could see it almost, and then it would be gone. She seemed almost sure of everything they did together. She didn't seem nervous to be around him in so little clothing. She'd take her shower while he brushed his teeth. She asked him to hand her a towel. He did, nearly blushing. She'd dry off, wrap it around herself and then step out. She'd turn away from him, started lotioning unwrapping her towel and wrapping it around her hips. He could see the entirety of her back, watched as she applied lotion, before reaching out for her bra. She'd clasp it and slide it around, and then pull on her bottoms before finishing. He took a shower, a cold one.