Chapter 3: Angel Kiss

AISLINN

Aislinn was hunting a siren among a school full of teenagers. She had just turned fifteen, but she had been pretending to be a teenager for two years. She had the looks, the smarts and the experience to pull it off perfectly.

She watched her target carefully, noting that a lot of the boys were drawn to the siren, but also to her. She had managed to get herself invited to the dance by being some boy's date. He had disappeared half an hour ago with another girl and Aislinn had a pretty good idea what they were up to. She watched the Siren, Amy Calling, waiting for the moment to make the kill. And then someone blocked her view. He was tall, six five maybe with dark shaggy hair and icy blue eyes. He was handsome, breathtaking. And for the first time ever, Aislinn got distracted by a boy. Before she knew it, he was whirling her across the floor. She felt his hand on her back, pressing her close to him. She didn't mind at all. He was nearly a good foot taller than her, but he leaned down so his breath ghosted over her ear. She completely forgot Amy Calling, completely caught up in the guy she knew was trying to seduce her. She remembered Amy when the girl began to sing. Everyone turned to watch her, completely enraptured except three guys next to Amy and the one that held her. The guy glanced down at her and then she felt it sliding away. She shrieked as the blackness was torn away. She knew she didn't want this, didn't want to hurt Amy. She was being compelled to finish the task, but she refused. Desperate, she told the man before her to get Amy out, to leave before the others showed up. She saw the change in his eyes as they softened. He grabbed her upper arm and ducked, brushing a kiss against her lips before scooping the siren up. Aislinn just watched, raising a hand to her lips, remembering the kiss.

Aislinn was tired of these dreams, dreams that she knew had never happened. She wondered though. It was too real, too vivid to be a fantasy. She climbed from her bed and went to her laptop. She hesitated, not knowing what to type. The words came to her and she typed them in. She clicked on the first result. An angel kiss was a birthmark. No. The entire page was useless, she went through fifteen pages of results before she came upon it.

"Angel Kiss, not much is known about angels, what is known, they are extremely beautiful. Angels are good at connecting with people. Even warrior angels are known for being compassionate. Angels rarely indulge in violence or fight, the only exceptions are the fall of the angels and the Archangel Michael. The kiss of an angel is a gift, to those who've known the kiss of an angel, they live a blessed life. In stories, the last to receive an Angel's kiss was a girl, an Angeling, the rare female Nephilim. She was the fated companion of the archangel Raphael. A silver star just below her collar marked her as his companion. Her name was Sera. Sera is said to have become an angel after her death."

Aislinn sighed, closer, but still not what she was looking for. And then she saw it.

"Angel Kiss. An angel kiss is only given to those favored by God and all Angels. It protects the recipient from all kinds of evil and in time with heal a person being compelled and free them from influence permanently. It allows such a person to find safety, always. Those given the kiss are always given a guardian to protect them, usually an angel. The Angel Kissed often experience visions of the future or past in order to better protect themselves and those they love. Because Angel Kissed are so beloved by angels, they are often exploited and hunted down by the mythic cult known as Hunters."

Aislinn's breath caught as a new memory rushed to the surface. The dance, just before he'd kissed her.

"You among all others have earned an angel's kiss." A feeling like silk brushed against her skin and suddenly her door slammed open. The man who had raised her stood there. His eyes widened and then he shut the door and came closer to her.

"Aislinn you don't have much time. In a few hours, the angel mark will appear. Leave while you can. They will hunt you down and use you to lure every guardian angel, Nephilim and supernatural there is with you. They will perish and so will humans."

"I don't understand..."

"My dear girl, when we took you, you were already angel born, already blessed as a half angel, even more as an Angeling. You are destined for someone as an Angeling. Find him, he will keep you safe."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"Your mother was my sister, when they killed her, you were all I had for family. I would never abandon you, but I can't protect you forever. That will be his job. Go, find him."