Chapter 12: Fixing

Michael wiped his sword and turned to Aislinn. The other naturals seemed awed by his presence, except for her. Even Lucas Black was bowing in wolf form. He strode straight to Aislinn, and brought her close to his chest. He let out the unconscious breath he'd been holding. She let him hold her for several minutes before she spoke.
"We need to check for any surprises. And then there are about 15 children crammed into a storage pantry somewhere that I need to see to. He looked down at her, thinking.
"Take a warrior with you and go see the children are okay. Alpha Lucas and I will take some others and do a sweep of the land." He said.
"Take wolves, you'll find any stragglers more easily." She hesitated for a moment before hugging him tightly again. She pressed a kiss to his cheek and then moved away, calling out to a female faerie knight and a she-wolf. They went with her, along with a Mage, headed toward the school.

Aislinn was careful when opening the door. She quickly shoved the others back to avoid the projectiles. She called for a ceasefire and one of the older ones, a boy of 12 recognized her. He let her in and her companions. They checked the children for injury and found only minor injuries. The Mage that had followed them set Aislinn's broken wrist and wrapped it up for her. They were all curious as to who she was.
"I'm Aislinn." They wanted to know what she was though.
"I'm an Angeling, I grew up among hunters, until I broke the compulsion curse they had bound me with."
"Which curse?" The faerie knight asked, on guard.
"Black thorn, right here, and here, here, here, here, here and here." Aislinn said tapping each spot, her right shoulder, left wrist, left palm, behind her right ear, on the left side of her neck, the juncture between her neck and shoulder on the left, beneath her jaw on the left side and beside her eye. The faerie looked startled and then Michael stepped up behind her. She recognized his steps and didn't attack him.
"Hello Michael, Lucas." Both grinned and Michael wrapped an arm around Aislinn and pressed a kiss to her temple. The others looked startled, he looked confused for a moment.
"Oh, it doesn't work like that. I have to have the intent to create an angel kiss. Any other kiss is just a kiss."
"And you are the archangel Michael?"
"I am."
"And the Hunter who fights her own?"
"She's an Angeling, the Nephilim Matthew Montgomery's younger sister. Gabriel's daughter." They all looked quite surprised at that.
"But she is a Hunter."
"Was, they hunt their own when they turn traitor, when they refuse to kill our kind. That was how I found Aislinn. I removed the last Black Thorn curse at Arcadia. She came through the barriers, the ones I reinforced three years ago." Michael turned his focus on Aislinn, frowning at her bandaged wrist. He took it gently in his hands, frowning.
"I'm fine." She withdrew, turning her attention to the children, one little girl in particular. The girl seemed afraid of everyone except Aislinn. Soon Aislinn had the six year old balanced on one hip, talking to her and making her giggle. Someone stood in the doorway.
"Has anyone seen Katherine?" Everyone shook their heads until the panicked man's eyes landed on Aislinn.
"Katherine?" The little girl peeked over Aislinn's shoulder. Aislinn turned to the man.
"Oh god, I thought she was dead. I found her parent's house, both dead. Her older brother is hurt, but he'll survive." Katherine wiggled in Aislinn's arms, upset and scared.
"Who is Katherine?"
"Katherine Windsor. Her parents, her family are elite, the highest class of mages. Katherine is the only girl born in seven generations, she's extraordinarily powerful."
"Katherine, can I call you Katie?" The girl nodded. "Shall we go see your brother..."
"William." Someone said.
"William?" She repeated finishing. Katie looked unsure. She pointed to Aislinn.
"I suppose I could come." She said following the man.