X.Hell on Earth

Nuri.

"Nuri, baby. Wake up." I heard Nathaniel's voice in my ears.

We were on the plane, my head on his chest and my arm wrapped around his stomach. Tilting my head, I looked up at him as though he were an apparition.

"Hey," he said in greeting. "You slept through the whole thing."

"Did I really?" I turned my face into his chest and groaned. "You slipped something in my drink." I accused him eyeing the small glass of orange juice before me. "I know you did so don't deny it."

"I did no such thing woman," he said with a chuckle. "Now come on we're landing so we have to put the seats up."

"Right," I whispered and pulled away to put the seat up.

Things moved quickly after that phone call from my mother. I was liable to plant my behind right on the floor and proceed with a state of helplessness, but Nathaniel was having none of that. Before I knew what was happening, he had flight arrangements and our transportation on the island set in motion... just like that, like it was easier than breathing. 

By the time we were settled in for the plane ride, I got calls from Maggie, Naomi and Jon expressing their concern and wishing me and my family well. Naomi assured me that she would take care of everything, and I assured her that I was only a phone call away if she needed me. She did not bring up Michael and I was beyond thankful for that.

There wasn't a thing left undone. As he looked through a small brochure of the island, I took him in as though I were seing him for the first time. He was a rock, unmoved and steady unlike me who was away with the fairies. What does he see in me? I don't know what Nathaniel did, but at the moment he seemed content to just sit by my side. It was insane. He has an entire company and town at his beck and call and he's just... sitting here with me, just. . . supporting me.

 Nathaniel is on this plane with me for reasons known only to him. I have an idea about the kinds of things that were going through his head, but only he knew the real reasons.Perhaps he's curious about my folks, or just. . . as he said, he won't be apart from me.

Shaking off the multiple scenarios bounding up and around my head, I slipped my hand in his. Whatever the reason, I'm glad that he's here. I would've fallen apart without him and sure wouldn't be anywhere near here and so quickly. He watched our hands together and shot me a raised brow. 

I smiled impishly at first than with more conviction when he touched his lips to the back of my hand.

When we got on land and went through customs, a rental car awaited us and Nathaniel diligently packed us in opening the door for me on the passenger side. It was a burgundy Navigator much to big for just the two of us.

Shaking my head, I moved passed him and let him help me into the massive vehicle"Honestly, how far is your reach King?"

He took the seat belt and buckled me in. Leaning on my lap he said, "My reach is as far as money can buy. Now Ambrose on the other hand, that's a man who's reach is as far and wide as they come." He ran a finger down the length of my arm. "This island was once a French colony and he's got family and friends down here."

"And this is his Navigator?"

"Can't say if it's his or not. The man has more connections than a cable company. It's almost ridiculous."

I shook my head with a sigh. "Nathaniel, this is too much. We're only staying a couple days and here you are- -"

"Shut up Nuri," he said kissing my lips and shutting the door.