IV. Kiss and Fear

IV. Kiss and Fear

Nuri.

I walked silently beside Naomi as we watched Jon and Michael rib each other and act like two small children, laughing carelessly. It was endearing because Michael was from Great Britain and Jon was a Samoan with swag. Their colloquial mannerisms were a constant source of laughter. I envied their happiness, my thoughts racing to Nathaniel.

Gripping the strap of my bag, my eyes stayed to the concrete beneath me. It was the only way to keep the tears at bay.

Naomi's arm came around me, the faint scent of her perfume tickling my senses. "You okay?"  

I looked up at her trying and failing at giving her a sincere smile. She's a beautiful woman, with silky smooth dark skin and jet black hair that flowed down past her shoulders. In the short time I've known her, she's always looked her best. Perfect from head to toe. She represented everything that I was not. Her confidence and certainty in herself was oozing from all around her.

It was the third time she asked me today, I should be annoyed but it only served to endear me to her. She was actually paying attention and cared enough to ask. I still gave her the same answer. "I'm alright Naomi."

"I know you're my boss, but I can't help but see you as my little sister sometimes," she said her arms going back to her sides. She raised a brow to me, ". . . and I'm very protective of my little sister so. . ."

A traitorous tear tipped over the edge and down my cheek. Quickly, I turned my head and wiped it away. "It's been a shit day Naomi, I won't lie."

She nodded and kept her head straight watching the man sized boys ahead of us. "Yeah. Shit day all around."

My head shot up to her and she was watching Jon with same sadness I felt. Was she having problems with Jon? I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary with them. They were always very vocal about the love they had for one another.

Trouble in paradise for lovers.

I am not one to ask people such personal questions, and wouldn't be asking if everything was okay with her and Jon, but I would certainly be watching them from here on out. There was no way he could be half the headache that Nathaniel was. 

"Oy," Michael called back to us. "There's a coffee shop here. They've even got a live band."

*

We sat at the center table in the quaint coffee shop. It was cozy, with soft golden lights that went well with with dusky brown and burgundy color scheme they had going on. Books were aligned all along one wall by the counter where  people sat nibbling pasties and sipping from their mugs while they typed or clacked away on their laptops and cell phones.

The band was pretty serious, with drums, guitar, bass, piano and other random music makers. The band members were very nice to look at as well, each with their own ecliptic style. They sang their own rendition of songs that were popular and on the radio today.

There were good vibes and I can easily see this place becoming one of my favorite spots. Maybe Nathaniel would like- - I stifled that thought right as it arose and squared my shoulders. "It's the weekend guys," I said slapping my hands and rubbing them together. "Any special plans?"

"I want a facial," Naomi said inspecting the tips of her hair for damaged ends. "It's gonna be all about pampering myself this weekend. Lord knows I've earned it."

Jon harrumphed and stretched his hands back behind his head, "Pops is flying in tonight. We might catch a movie or something together. "

"You're father's coming to town?" Naomi asked dropping her hair her voice packing more spice than usual.