VII. In Love not Above Murder

Nuri.

Adelaide Thorpe is an expert homemaker. I could sit and watch her move around the exceptional kitchen for hours on end. She effortlessly moved from one task to the next, while I fumbled around behind her trying my best not to make too much of a mess.

The last time I was in Nathaniel's loft home, I ran from him afraid of what I found in his home office. Back than I wondered how a single man could keep a home in such a state of immaculance. Now that I see Ms. Adelaide in action, it makes sense.

There was such a vast wealth of knowledge coming off of her and in the short time we were together, I had already learned so many life hacks. I even learned a lot about Nathaniel, his likes and dislikes and even some of his habits.

Adelaide eased me into her personal space with a welcoming attitude and took me under her wing. I often got the impression that she wanted to share something with me, starting and stopping until she decided against it.

After Nathaniel left, she helped me settle in. I showered and lounged around for a while. I was driving myself crazy, raking my brain over this new development between me and Nathaniel and Adelaide called me over to the kitchen, her way of putting me out of my own self inflicted misery no doubt.

I suggested a simple grilled chicken pasta and creamy sauce with cupcakes for dessert and she obliged. Once the pasta was done, and the cupcakes out of the oven Adelaide made her own special frosting. She actually made it from scratch.

I didn't think people like her existed, but here she was bold as sin, wise silver hair and beautiful olive skin. I wanted to steal her away from Nathaniel.

"Let me show you the frosting pattern for the cupcakes," she said lightly tapping my hand. I stood beside her, leaning over the small vanilla cupcake and watched as she swirled and squeezed the frosting bag over the small puff, the end result a small cloud of cream cheese icing.

I tried my best to mimic her hand motions but it was no where near what she did. I pouted.

"Don't fret child, with practice you'll be amazed at what you're capable of. Have a go at another."

'Kay," I licked the icing off my thumb and went in for the next cupcake determined to get it right, or at least as close to right as I could get it. Once done I stopped and tilted my head for a different perspective. It was decent.

"I did it Ms. Adelaide. Look!" I clapped my hands together. I looked to Adelaide and found her watching the kitchen entrance.

Nathaniel stood at the threshold with his bag on his shoulder, his eyes fixed on mine. Pinned to the spot, a hard lump in my throat had me swallowing down hard. I didn't hear him come in?

''It smells great in here, " he said closing his eyes for a second and returning back to meet my eyes.

"Welcome back Mr. King," Adelaide said with her hands together. "You're just in time for Miss Hart's meal. She did a great job and I trust it will be to your liking."

He leaned against the threshold, his eyes never once straying from my own. "You made it?"

"It's just pasta. Nothing too fancy," I said setting the icing down.

"I'm sure it's delicious," he said, his voice low and brooding. Those cool eyes of his pleading with me, speaking to me across the small distance between us. He needed me.

Adelaide cleared her throat. "Well, if you just give me a moment now," she rounded me and went for the cabinets. "I'll set the table for dinner."

"Oh Ms. Adelaide, don't worry about that. I can set the table and clean up after."