XIII. Silence

Nuri.

We were home again and it was time to get back to business as usual. I called my folks to let them know I was safe and was a bit bothered that they seemed more interested in Nathaniel than me, their own flesh and blood.

We started our day and Nathaniel with his overbearing ways, was sure to get me into King's Industries half an hour early, kissed me good luck for the day and went on his busy way.

When I made it close enough to see my office and the three people standing around it, I made a quick detour for the ladies room to hide. 

If I was being completely honest, I didn't want to answer too many questions about my father, and if I was really being honest, I didn't want to see Michael's face just yet. Some awkward moments needed to be avoided for as long as humanly possible.

I stared at myself in the fancy bathroom mirror and hated the tired person I saw staring back at me. It's been one crazy week and I could not show up to work with bags under my eyes. It was scandal worthy. Splashing my face with some cool water, I applied some BB cream and a simple gloss and went to meet my people.

Naomi saw me first and the eager smile on her face tugged at my heart. The girl beamed up at me with those pearly whites and  threw herself into me nearly sobbing. "Yay! You're back."

She squeezed tight and I did the same. "I was only gone a couple days Naomi, what's with all the love."

"You'll understand later, but for now, just take this hug," she explained and kissed my cheek.

The sitting John, was quickly on his feet and Maggie playfully clapped her hands together in applause from where she sat perched up on the edge of my desk.

When Naomi let go, John came in for his hug slipping his huge arm around me and bringing me in tight. "Good to see you boss. Office just ain't the same without you." He pecked my cheek as well. "You can't up and leave us like that again. We need you Nuri. I love my girl, but she's too nice for these vendors out here. They mean as hell."

"It won't happen again," I promised. "Now you see what I have to deal with huh?"

John went to the a hopeful looking Naomi and cupped her chin. They were still the doting couple and I was happy nothing changed behind my back. They were my one true paring and I would pay money to keep their love alive.

Maggie hopped off my desk and held open arms out for me. "Come here beautiful girl," she pleaded. I did as she said and let her pull me in for the warmest hug I'd ever gotten from another person who wasn't family. "It's good to see you back Suga, this place just isn't the same without you."

I shot her a skeptical look. "Stop all that nonsense. I get it when John and them say it. I just started working here like literally a minute ago, and I work on the design team. Ain't nobody missing me."

She sighed. "You're right Suga, no one really even knew you were gone, but I did and missed the shit out of you." She pulled me in for another hug and I couldn't help the smile.

"Listen," John started. "Since you just came back, how about we all have lunch and talk. 

"Than later, drinks?" Naomi added hopefully.

It was sounding like the best day ever already and I nodded my agreement. "Most definitely doing that."

The four of us lingered for a while until we broke it up to get set up for the day. John and Naomi went to their cubicles and I went through the lovely stack of work Naomi left me for the day. 

I was painfully aware that Michael wasn't there and was tempted to ask after him but at the last minute decided against it. I wished I didn't have to show my face either, but I was woman enough to face the music. He should be man enough to do the same. It was going to be weird, but he didn't get to evade it and make me feel like I did something wrong. Right as I went to reach for my office phone to call him, he walked in head lowered and hands shoved in his pockets.