III. Wallowing and Waiting and Alone

III.

Nathaniel. 

 . . . Hypocrite.

 Get off my back. . .

Nuri's contempt for me hangs over my head and dances around my office with gusto. I can't even focus on the conference call going on now,  because all I can think about is her, her sobs in the shower and the fury she unleashed on me as result of me backing her into a corner. 

She knew about Emma, this much was obvious. I'm not completely dense as to think that she wouldn't know about her, but in no way was I prepared to hear her tell me that I've tormented her in my sleep just as I was tormented in my dreams.

Ambrose told me all about her Thompson and what he's been up to. I already knew he was contacting her parents, but what Ambrose revealed only served to turn my blood to a boil and I lashed out at her. What frayed me more, was how flip and nonchalant she was about it. 

I will never apologize for being overprotective of her, that's just a part of who I am. . . but where Emma is concerned, she has free reign to feel and say whatever she pleases. 

With my elbows on my desk, my head fell in to my palms and I tried to sort out my jumbled thoughts. With a dead wife, that wasn't so dead, and Nuri's ex worming his way back, I'm not sure I can stomach Nuri's silence. 

I should have stayed till after her shower and apologized. Better yet, I shouldn't of even came at her the way I did. 

I'm an asshole.

"Mr. King," the woman's voice directing the call came over the line. "Have you heard a word of what has been discussed here this morning?"

"Why do you ask?" I inquired, feigning interest. But this old bat has been doing business with King Industries since it's start up and it's quite possible that she's learned my tells.

"You're awfully taciturn and didn't even flinch when Stevens proposed the account with Millers and Jacobs. Well no offences Stevens but that suggestion is - -, " she chuckled. "Well it's laughable."

Stevens is usually an out of the box thinker and some of his ramblings suggest that he's borderline psychiatric, so I didn't doubt her. I usually respond to him with something equally foolish in attempts to make him see reason, but today was not the day. 

"I am not myself this morning," I admitted. "I move to reschedule this meeting till tomorrow. I know this might delay the progress we've been - -,"

"There's not question that it's put a major delay on our progress Mr. King. We have been preparing for this for days now." She interrupted me. 

"Well take another twenty four," I said disconnecting the call than swiveled away from the desk to face the city life. 

I have just pissed off an array of clients and partners, but I don't give a shit right now. 

My office door opened and I already knew it was Maggie, so I didn't bother turning to face her. "Really? Mr. King don't you know that when you hang up on people, they start looking for blood. And I'm the one they call when they want blood, you ought t be more considerate."

"Not now Maggs," I griped. "It's not a good time."

"Oh I already knew that the minute you dragged your ass in here without Mr. Hart on your arm," she said. "Did you guys get into a fight again? It's barely been a day."

"If you need something say your piece, otherwise. . . Go. Away."

She hummed as if coming to some sort of conclusion and I hear her set something down on my desk.  "Ms. Hart's team has put their best foot forward with the King's Court project. They are proving to be a much needed asset around here. You've got all of King Industries working on your side, you would be cautious to keep that in mind."