XXV: Change

Nuri.

I stood in the far corner of the elevator and waited for the group of people to board. I had just been to see the midwife for an assessment and she had some very harsh words for me. She noticed that I had not been sleeping, something she warned me would be dangerous to my unborn child.

I am 8 weeks pregnant now, which means I can smell everything and everything makes me nauseous. I'm two months pregnant and my baby is a little raspberry now. On the ultrasound I could see the little arms and legs. The little eyelids were forming and so was the tip of the nose. I so wanted Nathanial to be there with me.

I won't lie and say that I'm strong enough to handle this without him being here. I need him to wake up and take control as he often does. I need his voice and his touch like I need my next breath. The elevator stopped right at the 4th floor and I watched as people got on and off.

One more floor and I would be at his side again. I wanted to kick myself when I realized that I hadn't charged my phone. Every part of me needed to get back to him and see him. Maybe something changed while I was away.

God, please let something change.

Once we hit the fifth floor I maneuvered my way around the small crowd of people and escaped the tiny box with many smells. My legs picked up speed as I rushed to the room where Nathaniel was. I quickly washed my hands in the small sink right outside his room and opened the door.

I walked in and instantly felt that something was. . . off.

I threw a haphazard glance in the direction of his bed before taking my bag off and setting it on the chair by the entrance. I stilled and did a double take once it registered that he was not in the bed. The bed was in the lowest possible position and completely made, new sheets and blankets and . . . everything.

He wasn't there and all I could do was stare at the bed in wonder. I looked around the room for signs of him. If something changed, I would have received a call right?

On what cell phone, Nuri? The phone that lost all its charge?

Oh God! Something is wrong. He's not here and something is really wrong. I ran out of the room and looked over at the nursing station. There was not a single person in sight. There were no nurses, no doctors, no nothing.

I ran back into the room and went for the small phone by the bedside table. Elizah's number was on the small whiteboard and with a shaky hand, I punched in her mobile number.

My heart was pounding so hard that I barely registered the sound of the toilet flushing in the bathroom followed by the sound of running water from the faucet. Suddenly the bathroom door swung open and the sight of him. . . the sight of him was enough to shift my entire universe.

He's awake, walking and seemingly back to normal. The phone slipped from my fingers and hit the floor with a clatter which caused him to whip around suddenly. I could only stand there staring at him in shock and disbelief while he stared back at me in. . . anger?

He was angry with me and his face was a steel mask. I was so happy and shocked to see him. . . yet he looked furious. What could have happened in those few short hours to upset him so?

"You're awake?" I implishly asked the question and took strides towards him. I stilled when he held his hand up.

Doesn't he remember me?

"Why did you do that?" His voice was low and threatening.

I shook my head in confusion. "Do what?"