Chapter 8 "Past"

Featherpaw take these herbs to the elders and check them for flees or ticks. 

Alright Mothwing. I’ll be back in a bit.

Alright and do a good job.

I will. “I picked up the herbs and headed for the elders den. The smiled when they seen me. I noticed that a few of the kits where in here listening to the elders tell stories about the old days and about cats long pasted. I desisted to ask one of the elders if he could tell me the story about Brokenstar.” Pouncetail. Can you tell me the story about Brokenstar?

Sure I can. Besides that’s one of the stories that these little ones haven’t heard yet. So settle down and I tell the story of Brokenstar and how he almost destroyed Shadowclan.

“As Pouncetail told the story of Brokenstar, I couldn’t help but feel as if there was something in that story that was missing. A part to it that no one knew about, excerpt for Brokenstar himself. After I finished with the elders, they sent the kits back to the nursery, but Pouncetail wanted to speak to me for a moment.”

If you don’t mind me asking why did you want to hear the story about Brokenstar, not that I don’t mind telling that story to the young kits, but why did you want to hear it?

I’m not sure of that myself Pouncetail. I just had this feeling that if I heard his story, something would come to me from it, but it seams as if that feeling was wrong.

Maybe not. Knowing these stories of the past can help all of us cats remember not to take the paths that others have taken. You are on two paths Featherpaw. One is that of a warrior and the other is that of a medicine cat. Knowing these stories will help you on your way to become a great warrior and a great healer. If you ever need to know anything else, just came and ask us. We’re here to help you younger cats get a feeling for what lays a head of all of you.

Thanks Pouncetail and I will come to you if I need to know anything else about anything.

You do that. Now I think I’ve kept you long enough. Go see what your mentors are up to.

I will and thanks again Pouncetail.

Your welcome Featherpaw. And may Starclan watch over.

And you as well Pouncetail. “Now I wander why I feel as if there is something missing from that story about Brokenstar that troubles me so much. I guess only a Shadowclan cat would be able to tell me more about Brokenstar. And I know just the cat to talk to.”

Good evening Featherpaw. Can I help you?

Good evening to you too Littlecloud and yes there is something. I’d like to speak to Blackstar if that’s alright.

I can take you to him, but whether he wants to talk to you is a different matter.

That’s fine with me. Thank you Littlecloud.

Your welcome. Now follow me.

“I followed Littlecloud all the way to the Shadowclan’s camp. No one minded me, because I was in training to be a medicine cat. Littlecloud and I saw Blackstar siting with some of the warrior talking. So the two of us sat still and waited for them to finish. As we sat there a formulae voice spoke to me in my ear. It was Runningnose.”

You will find the answers you seek here young one, but you will also find out somethings that you may not wish to find out.

“I nodded to Runningnose and was nudged by Littlecloud to follow him over to Blackstar who nodded to me and I nodded back to him.”

Good evening Featherpaw. What brings you to Shadowclan?

“Sat down and then looked up to the night sky, then back down to meet Blackstar’s eyes.”

Runningnose told me I could find the answers I was looking for here in Shadowclan and that you would be the cat to talk too.

What is it you need to know?

I need to know about Brokenstar.

“Everyone that was in ear shock looked at me, but said nothing. Blackstar nodded for me to follow him, so I did. We walked out of Shadowclan camp and into the pine trees, closes to the pond.”

Why do you want to know about Brokenstar?

I keep seeing him. He watches me whenever I leave my camp to do something. I was told that you could tell me a bit about him.

I can tell you many things about Brokenstar. Things that you may not like to hear.

You see Blackstar, it is these things that I may not want to hear, that will lead me to the answers that I am seeking. And with Starclan guiding me and the teachings of my mentor, I will figure out with it is that answers are to mean. But for this to happen I need to know as much about Brokenstar as I can learn. You are the only cat that I know of that can tell me about Brokenstar outside of the stories that I have heard. “Blackstar nodded and looked me over. After a while he sat down and nodded for me to do the same. Once we were sat Blackstar began to tell me about Brokenstar in other ways then that of what I had heard of him.”

Brokenstar was leader of great strength. I won’t lie about that, but he didn’t have the wisdom or the guidance that a true leader needed. He made kits into appearances long before it was time for them and he fought with the other clans nonstop. I can tell you already know all of this, but there is something that you do not know. Brokenstar had a good side to him. He took in regales from twoleg place and around the forest that we lived in. I was one of them. Brokenstar was a cat out for blood, but he had a heart as well. I shouldn’t tell you this, but Brokenstar had a mate.

A mate? Why is that something you shouldn’t tell me?

His mate was a kittypet. She was a strong cat as well. Right before Brokenstar die he sent his mate back to her twolegs. She was baring his kits at the time, but she did as Brokenstar had told her and left for her twoleg home. I don’t know what happened to her or to the kits she was baring. All I know is that Brokenstar had told me once, that Starclan had told him that he would lose his mate, but her kits would live and one would find their way to send their kits to the clan. 

So Brokenstar has kits, but there nowhere around here?

That is right, but if Starclan’s prophesy is true then one his kits will send there kits or kit to the clans and only Starclan knows what will happen then. Now the sun is coming up. If you wish to know more about Brokenstar then come back and see me tomorrow night. I will be waiting by the border between out two clans.

Alright Blackstar. I’ll see you tomorrow night. “I dipped my head to him and walked all the way back to my camp. Where Brokenstar had been waiting for me. He didn’t look all that happy, but when he saw me, he smiled and walked half way back to camp with me.”

Did you find what you were looking for?

I found out somethings, but not what I was looking for. Blackstar is going to talk to me more tomorrow night.

I see. Well then, when your finished talking with him, come see me and we’ll start you training again.

Alright Brokenstar. Hey Brokenstar.

Yes Featherpaw, what is it?

The cat that was your mate from twoleg place. Did you ever see her again?

I did. One last time, before I left this world and went to the dark forest. She looked just like you, but her eyes where yellow and ember. You remind me of her a lot. In more ways then one. 

“He’s eyes seamed to glow like stars above us, but there was that shadow around that kept him hidden from the light of moon. Non the lest, he was smiling at me and at a memory from his past. For some reason I feel as if I am closer to him then what I am right now. Almost as if we share the same blood line. In other words, it’s almost as if we are kin to each other.”