Chapter 9 "Unlocking Secrets"

Featherpaw wake up. Come on Featherpaw walk up.

Hmmm...? What is it Pebblepaw? Your going to want to come see this and fast.

Alright, I’m coming. *Yawn* Just give me a minute to stretch and walk up.

You don’t have a minute. Streampaw needs your help now.

“I hadn’t released the wariness or fear in Pebblepaw’s voice till he said Streampaw’s name. I looked him over quickly and then nodded for him to show me where Streampaw was. Pebblepaw and I took off running through the camp towered the river. What surprised me was that is was still night time out. Non the less, we reached the river and I spotted Streampaw right away. He was bleeding from a deep wound on his side, but he was still alive.(Streampaw!!!) I run up to him panicking, but calmed myself down and looked at Pebblepaw.” I need you to get me some moss and then to go get Mothwing and Willowshine. Also bring Mistystar and Robinwing, Mintfur and Weedwhisker, and move fast Pebblepaw. 

“Pebblepaw just nodded and took off. He was back with a big ball of moss, which he handed to me and then headed back to the camp. I pressed the moss to Streampaw’s wound and then laid beside him to keep him warm. He woke up after a little while, I had my eyes closed, and was listening for Pebblepaw and the other. They were on their way and would be here soon. I opened my and meet his with a small smile.” It was Hawkfrost, wasn’t it?

It was. How did you know?

His sent. I can pick it up. 

How bad is my side, Featherpaw?

It’s not as bad as one might think, but you won’t be fishing, swimming, or fighting any time soon.

That’s what I figured.

Streampaw what where you and Pebblepaw doing out here. “Streampaw looked away from, but after a while he did answer me, but with out meeting my eyes.”

I head someone moving around in our den, so I woke up to tell them to go back to bed. Only it wasn’t a cat from our clan. No, I should say it wasn’t a cat that is alive.

“I looked at him and then though for a moment.” Are you talking about Hawkfrost? “Streampaw turned and looked at me. His eyes were stern and his words even sterner.”

It wasn’t Hawkfrost. He attacked me here at the river. The cat that was in our den was a cat that is no longer living, but it wasn’t Hawkfrost. All I know is he was staring at you and I told him to leave. He hissed at me and told me that I wasn’t worthy to be your friend. Then he turned and walked our of the den. I followed him to tell him he was wrong. He lead me here and then Hawkfrost jumped me from the river.

“Streampaw stopped talking when he released he was shouting at me. He looked down at the ground and said he was sorry for yelling at me. I just touch my nose to his ear and purred a bit. About that time is when everyone else showed up. We got Streampaw back to camp and resting in the medicine cat’s den. Pebblepaw went back to the apprentice den and I took Mistystar, Mothwing, Willowshine, Mintfur, Robinwing, and Weedwhisker over to where Hawkfrost attacked Streampaw.”

Featherpaw what is so importune that you have to bring us back here?

Do you remember when Streampaw and Pebblepaw helped me back to came after I fell off that lege?

Yes we do.

The truth is, I lied about that.

What do you mean, Featherpaw.

Just what I meant Mintfur. I’d lied on how I had gotten hurt and now you need to know why.

Then tell us Featherpaw. Cause right now I get the feeling that what happened then has to do with what had happened to Streampaw.