Chapter 5 "Gathering"

You guys existed about your first gathering?

You bet we are Streampaw. What’s a gathering like anyhow?

You’ll see when you get there PebblePaw. What about you Featherpaw? Are you existed as well?

I am, it’s just I don’t know where I’ll be sitting. 

What do you mean you don’t know where you’ll be sitting? You’ll be sitting next to me and Pebblepaw unless you want to sit with the medicine cats. Do you?

I’ll sit with you two for now. I might go sit with them at the next gathering.

You do as you see fit Featherpaw. 

Yah, and Streampaw and I will be there to back you. Right Streampaw?

Right Pebblepaw. We’ll always have each other’s backs. Now and forever. Now come on you two, we have to keep up with the others.

Right.

“As we got closer to the gathering, we could hear cats and even pick up their sent, but we didn’t see them. At least not until we got to the other side of the river and walked up the bank to the gathering spot where there was a large tree that the other three clan leaders where sitting in. I looked up at them and then around at the other cats that were here. I followed Streampaw to a group of cats that I didn’t know. Pebblepaw stayed close to me as we walked with Streampaw.”

Hey Streampaw. Who’s that behind you?

Hey Whiskerpaw. These are my friends from my clan. Pebblepaw and Featherpaw. This is there first gathering. So don’t tease them.

We won’t do that.

I know you wouldn’t Dovewing. I’m just asking those that would.

I’ll be back guys.

Where you going Featherpaw? 

We didn’t mean to scare you.

You didn’t scare me. It’s just Graypool wants me to go talk to Jayfeather for a moment. So if you’ll excuse me for a moment.

Is she a medicine cat?

She is in training to be one and a warrior as well.

How can she be both a medicine cat and a warrior?

I don’t know. That’s just what Starclan had told everyone that we would be. Or do you want to argue with are ancestors?

No we don’t. Looks like she find Jayfeather alright.

Something tells me Graypool showed her where he was.

Our probably right about that Pebblepaw. Anyhow, let’s leave them be and I’ll intodise you to everyone that’s here.

Alright Streampaw!

Calm down Pebblepaw.

Hi Jayfeather. “dips my head to Jayfeather who dips his head back to me and then singles for me to sit next to him. I do and wait for him to say something.”

Graypool tells me that you are going to be both, a warrior and a medicine cat. Is this true?

Yes it is, Jayfeather.

I see, then what is it I can help you with?

I was wandering....

Yes, go on.

I was wandering, if you could teach me how to tell things apart.

You mean teach you how to see without your eyes.

Um, yes.

That I can do. Close you eyes and relax.

“I closed my eyes and relaxed every muscle in my body. As I did Jayfeather’s words became hared and hared to hear. Finally I couldn’t hear him at all, but I did hear what was going on all around me. I could hear what cats where saying clear across the clearing. I even hared the sound of the river flowing and the cricks chirping. Then I hared something, that I never hared before. The paw steps of another cat. I opened my eyes to see that I wasn’t at the gathering anymore, but in Starclan’s hunting grounds. There was a cat right in front of me, that I’d never see before, but knew of. Brokenstar had his eyes locked on me. I didn’t move, just stayed where I was sitting and let him walk right up to me. He walked in a circle around me. Looking me over from every angle. After circling me three time, he stopped and sat down next to me. Looking up at the sky.”

What is your name?

Huh? Oh, my name is Featherpaw. Your Brokenstar, aren’t you?

That is curate. Do you know where you are, Featherpaw?

(looks around) Starclan’s hunting grounds. I thought, but that’s not where I am, is it?

No it’s not. Your in the Dark Forest and with me being a dark forest cat, I should teach you a lesson about wandering around here, when your not welcome, but even I can see that you have no clue what is going on. So I will walk you to Starclan’s border, you can get back from there. Come on.

I didn’t know.

Didn’t know what?

That you could be nice.

“For a moment Brokenstar didn’t move, just stood there. Then he started walking again and I followed him. All the way to Starclan, where Yellowfang seen us and bolted over to see if I was alright. Brokenstar nudged me over to her then turned and walked away. Saying only one thing.”

Next time I see you in the dark forest Featherpaw. I will kill you. 

Yellowfang fluffed up her fur and hissed at him, then took me back to Graypool and Jayfeather at the gathering.”

Are you alright Featherpaw? I seen that you had disappeared when you went to Starclan. I asked Yellowfang to find you.

I’m alright Jayfeather. Just a bit tired is all.

“Yellowfang nodded to Graypool then walked back to Starclan. Graypool nudged me and then left as well. I looked at Jayfeather, who could see me as clear as day.”

You can open your eyes now Featherpaw.

“I opened them and found myself sitting next Jayfeather. He nudged me and we walked over to where everyone else was sitting. That told me the gathering had just began. I dipped my head to Jayfeather, thanking him and walked over to Pebblepaw and Streampaw, to take my seat beside them. Once everyone as seated the gathering began and was over in no time. Yet before I left, Jayfeather walked over to me and asked if he could talk to me for a moment. Mistystar said yes. And I followed Jayfeather over a little ways from everyone. We sat down and under a berry bush to share tongue.”

Yellowfang told me you had a run in with Brokenstar. He didn’t hurt you did he?

No he didn’t hurt me. He showed me the way back to Starclan. Jayfeather are all cats of the dark forest evil?

The ones that I have meet are and Brokenstar is one of the most evil cats of them all, next to Hawkfrost and Tigerclaw. Stay away from them and way from the dark forest Featherpaw. That isn’t a safe place, for any cat of the clans, or Starclan. Do you understand Featherpaw?

I understand Jayfeather and I won’t go there again. I promise.

Good, now you run along. Your clan is about to leave and so is mine.

“Lionblaze came over with Dovewing and guided Jayfeather way. I sat there and watched them go. After a while I felt someone nudge me. I turned around to see Mintfur staring at me. The look in his eyes told me that he was worried about me. I just smiled and rubbed my head gained his shoulder and the two of us walked back to camp together. Where we could get some sleep.”