1) He's my best friend... *30* =)

Chapter 30

................................................................................

(Paige’s P.O.V)

I pushed down on the brakes until the car came to a complete stop. Without a single word having been passed between us in the past ten minutes, the moment was slightly awkward and uncomfortable. But the only thing that went through my mind was the disappointment that had come with Nate’s reaction to my problems. I was forced to realize in a matter of seconds how little value my feelings had as far as Nate was concerned.

“I won’t apologize.”

The whispered words brought me back to the moment at hand, causing me to quickly turn to look at Nate. He sat there in the passenger seat, his hands rubbing back and forth on his jeans, an obvious sign of nervousness or confusion.

But when my gaze moved up towards his eyes it was no longer the same, I only found stubbornness and a deep promise. Confused as to how I should be feeling, I sighed heavily and put the car into gear, looking straight ahead once again.

“Just go home, Nathaniel. The last thing I want right now is a conversation.” I lied.

I should’ve known that orders didn’t go well with him, nor would he ever give up when he was determined to get a word out. He turned around in his seat until he was facing me completely, but just as he was about to say something he stopped, got out of the car and walked to my side.

Opening my door, he leaned in and undid my seatbelt, going on to gently grab my arm and pull me out. I stared open mouthed as he took my place and tilted his head towards the passenger seat.

“Come on Paige, get in the car.”

I swallowed and continued to stand there, feeling the familiar fear rise when the sky above darkened and the distant sound of thunder could be heard. Nate instantly caught the sign of weakness and used it to his advantage.

“I know how you feel about a good thunder storm, sweetheart. Now it’s up to you, get in the car, or continue standing there while thunder turns to lightning.”

There was a grin on his face now, and I knew by now that I was no longer angry with him. How could I be, when he was the only reason I still gave some significance to my life? Without those sheepish grins and cute dimples of his, where would I possibly be?

But that didn’t mean I wasn’t disappointed with him either. After all, I was also a human being, and I had feelings that could be hurt. And Nate had done just that.

But when I thought about him in the hospital bed, lying injured and beaten, all for my sake, telling me how much I meant to him...

I guess it was for that reason that I shook my head in defeat and stomped to the passenger side, slipping in and cursing myself for being so head over heels in love.

Once securely inside the car, I answered his smile with one of my own, though not as bright. But it was enough, and when Nate leaned closer, I met him halfway.