1) He's my best friend, 2) He's incredibly hot, and 3) I've secretly loved him all this time!!! *7*

Chapter 7

...............................................................................................................

(Nathaniel's P.O.V)

I looked at all the people in the room, each one staring at me oddly. Had I spoken too loud? Paige was the most shocked, her mouth hanging open.

The idiot was still on the ground, his eye definitely starting to bruise. Instead of fighting back though, he just sat there and chuckled. It was almost like a whole different Jonathan.

I took a step back, realizing maybe I was too close to Paige. In case she decided to slap me, being farther away would be helpful.

But she did nothing. Just stood there looking at me for a long time. The whole place seemed much quieter than it had been before. Why couldn't everyone just mind their own damn business!?

Paige finally moved, clearing her throat and folding her arms.

"Nate, can I please have a word with you." She asked quietly.

I looked at Jonathan and frowned, stepping over him while he lay sprawled on the ground, smiling up at me like I was the one who'd been hurt.

She followed me out the door and we walked up to my car, where she leaned against the hood while I stood in front of her with my hands in my pockets.

"You can't do that, Nate." she said.

I looked up at her, confused.

"What?"

She sighed and pushed away from the car, moving back and forth on her heels while she hesitated.

"You can't just put a claim on me. It's embarrassing." She wouldn't look up while she spoke.

"I was yelled at in front of all those people, they already think so little of me. You should know better."

I was deeply offended. Did she even hear herself!?

"Paige. How can you say that!? Was it embarrassing when I told you that you were the closest friend I had?"

She looked up all of a sudden, clearly angry at me about something.

"Nate. I..." she couldn't finish her sentence, instead just looked away.

"That's right. One day in the arms of a popular guy, and you already forget who your friend is and who your enemy is. What's next, Paige? Are you gonna' sleep with him too?" I instantly wanted to take back my words, but it was too late.

The tears in her eyes told me what a jerk I was, and that I'd hurt her by suggesting such a thing.

She pushed past me and started walking towards the road, I called out to her but she ignored me. Following her would only make matters worse, so I stayed where I was.

But things were definitely going to get worse, since Jonathan decided to make his way up to my car that very moment. I might have walked away, if it hadn't been for the huge grin on his face.

"Dude, she's pissed!" he sounded surprised.

I shoved him away and got into my car, unsure of what to do next. If I followed her, she'd only take her anger out on me and we might end up saying things to each other we'd later regret. But if I didn't, she'd get the wrong idea and think I was an even bigger jackass.

I stuck my head out of the window and yelled at Jonathan.

"Follow her! Make sure she gets home safely."