Chapter 5

CHRISTIAN

Taylor pulls up outside Esclava “ sir” he says before jumping out and opening my door. I take a deep breath and step out onto the sidewalk and make my way inside.
I’m greeted by Gloria at the front desk “Good afternoon Mr. Grey. How can I assist today?” she asks sweetly as she looks behind me, no doubt expecting my sub to be trailing, “Hi Gloria,  Is Mrs. Lincoln in today?” I ask, she nods happily and points to the office. I smile and nod in thanks before walking through the salon towards Elena’s office, without knocking I barge in.
Her head snaps up and she looks annoyed until she see's me, her face lights up like the 4th of July in excitement “ Christian, how lovely to see you. I didn’t realise we had an appointment” she purrs, I gag internally but keep my expression neutral as I respond “ Was in the neighbourhood and thought I’d drop by and see how things are going?” . Her face twitches nervously but she tries to cover it with a light giggle “ Oh Christian, isn’t that why we have lunch every 4th Friday? Now what’s really got you skulking in my salon?” she says, her voice wavering slightly.
I put my hands in my pocket casually but clench them as soon as they are hidden – play it cool Grey.
I close my eyes and take a deep breath and as I open them I say “ Yes, indeed. Ok, you got me. As you know I am currently without a sub, wondering if you have anyone available?”, this obviously isn’t what she was expecting and quietly sighs in relief before she stands and walks over to a locked draw behind the door. Strumming through files, she pulls out 2 and hands them to me “ These 2 would fit the bill nicely. They are a little raw but all the better for you, train them to your suitability” she runs her hand down my arm as I scan the files quickly, then I see it. I make a mental note of the details and ask Elena to make a copy of them both, making an excuse about having to get back for a meeting and promise to call her later and heading back out to the car. As Taylor drives us back to Grey House, I scan both files carefully. The first girl is only barely 17 and the second was 19 but both had one thing in common- they were both linked to the Hutton Settlement Children’s Home in Spokane. Is it coincidence? Something tells me it’s not. My phone rings in my pocket, I fish it out and check the caller id and rush to answer it “Sawyer?” I say with firm authority, little did I know…..my world is about to come crashing down.   Again.

ANNA

I can’t get him out of my head. His smell, his touch, his kisses….I sigh in frustration and try to focus on my work, Jack gave me 7 manuscripts to read by Friday and it’s already Wednesday. I have read 3 so far and none of them really had any potential, although the plots were inviting, the actual stories just didn’t live up to Jack’s standards. In my first week, I learnt pretty quickly what Jack was looking for but I also saw a lot of good stories go to waste. A loud thud from the foyer interrupts my concentration, I join the other staff to see what is going on and I’m shocked at what I see….
There stands Damien Preston, his face red with anger and adrenaline as he waves a gun towards our receptionist, Veronica. Her eyes are wide with shock and she is frozen in fear, her hand still in mid air over the phone, ready to call for help. Damien spins as he hears footsteps and the hushed whispers of my colleagues “ Jack Hyde. I need to speak with Jack Hyde, he owes me” he snarls, his teeth clenched and his jaw twitching. No one makes a move, standing in confusion and fear, I look around and decide to step forward “ Jack is unavailable, I’m his assistant maybe I can help. My name is Anna” I offer, my hand outstretched for him to shake, he eyes me up and down quickly before he rushes to me and grabs me, positions himself behind me and holds me in front of him as a shield as he barks out “ Get me Jack Hyde or Miss blue eyes here pays the price instead” his grip tightens around my chest, I gasp as I struggle to breathe. Out of the corner of my eye I see subtle movement and I notice Sawyer creeping stealthily behind the crowd, I can see he is talking to someone and I can only hope it’s Taylor. He catches my gaze briefly and the colour drains from his face as I feel my eyes roll back before everything goes black………