Chapter Two

MaryJane

I've always been ridiculed amongst my peers. They made playing feel like a nightmare.

Though my parents were dead, the stigma followed wherever I went. I was the daughter of a husband beater.
Though the whispering reduced, you don't easily forget the humiliation.

"My mum told me how your mother used to beat your father."

Chigozie once asked if it was true in front of our classmates.

How was I supposed to answer for people I didn't even know. I was barely two years old when mum died.

"I pity the poor man who'd ask for her hand in marriage."

They'd whisper when they thought I couldn't hear. They thought I'd be just like my mother.

Occasionally, I'd come home to Gran in tears. She'd listen to my tantrums.

"I hate them. For leaving me in this village, I wasn't good enough to make them stay alive."

"The first chance I get, I'll be out of this place. They should watch, I'll be better than all of them. "

I knew it was selfish of me to think I'd leave Gran all by herself, but she's lived her life and I need to live mine.

I've put all that behind me. I'm older, but I'll never be more if I stayed here.
I won't waste my future marrying some farmer who'd expect too many kids from me who'd work in his farm when they come of age, and once I've met his demand I'll be discarded while he goes on to his second wife.

I'd marry into a proper Christian home where I won't have to share my husband with another woman.

"MaryJane, Sarah is here to see you." Gran's voice brought me out of my reverie.

Sarah's visit could only mean one thing, GOSSIP.
She's the village walking talking.
She's a good friend, so I don't mind.

"Jane, how're you?"

"I'm fine, a little chore," I waved my hand to the chair by the corner.

"Take a seat while I finish."

"Nne, your chores can wait. I have news about John." Sarah stated matter of fact.

"What about him?"  I gave her a look that said I didn't care much about John.

"Don't give me that look, you conversed with him last Sunday in church. The news is all over."

Sarah laughed by the look of surprise on my face.

"What? It's a small village, and you didn't think to tell me?" She playfully swats my arm.

"You don't miss out on anything, do you?" I inquired even though I knew the answer and I was rewarded with one of Sarah's knowing smile.

"John is in search of a wife." She gazed at me, maybe gauging my reaction.

"And how's it my business?"  I asked in a nonchalant way.

"Just in case you're interested in him. Since you both were together last Sunday."

"You make it sound like I spent all day with him"

Sarah smiled, and I wish I could wipe that annoying smirk off her face. She knew me so well.

Hours after Sarah left, the news she brought stayed with me.

"John really wants a village wife?"

'Why would he do that? There are beautiful city women he could choose from.'

Then again, the Nwafors have always claimed to be traditional people. They would want to bring their son back home just to prove it's true.

'Do I really like him enough to want to marry him?'

'I don't even know him well enough'

"Ha! I thought you wanted a chance to leave this village,"  my mind chided.

'Not through marriage'

'What if he likes you too?'

Again, the thought of John marrying someone else was almost painful.
It won't be hard to love a man like John. He's prince charming.

Sarah suggested I could marry him, but it's been a week and two days since the church incident. I looked out for him last Sunday but he wasn't in church.

So much for news about our meeting spreading like wildfire.

I didn't let that dampen my mood as I prepared dinner for two that night.

John was free to marry whomever he liked.  I kept telling my self that, but why was my mood deflated?

With really nice clothes I could become the desired wife the Nwafors wanted.

I thought of John while I laid in bed that night. I imagined him holding my hand while we walked the village streets.

Oh, how good that would make me feel. After years of being treated like a nobody in this nightmare of a village.

I slept with that image in mind. I had nightmares of a black-eyed woman who shot me in the chest for taking the man she loved away from her.

I woke up startled in a sweat-drenched thin mattress.

_____

Author's note
Here's another chapter my lovelies ❤️
Let me know what you think of this chapter. Some of you complained about the length, so I've reduced it a bit.

Ps: add this story to your library to get notified when I update.

Happy reading!
See you next Friday 👉
Riana Smart.