Chapter Twenty Three

(Lol, I just completed Se2 of Blacklist, and I'm obsessed with the Jolene song.)

MaryJane

I wake up to the beeping sound of the monitor. what is this? my burial? who sent these many flowers today?

John really outdid himself this time. My cheeks start to curve into a smile, but the bucket of ice lands on me real fast. It replaces the warmth, the sad truth dawned on me. John buys flowers whenever he does something extreme and needs an apology. It is not because he thinks I am special. what a fool I am to think that things will get better, the hope that burns in my heart every day. Does he truly love me or my imaginations have been running wild the whole time? I blink back the tears and the bile that threathens to rise in my throat as I hear the soft click of the door. 

I angle my head towards the door to see who had just come in. My breath caught in my lungs, John is standing by the door with flowers in both hands. My beautiful love, I could smell him as though he freshly showered before coming here. Ever so powerful, he walks in and closes the door with a soft click. He walks to my bedside looking a bit flustered, like the blockhead I am I stretch forth my right arm beckoning John to come to me. He embraces me with no hesitation.

I was right, his hair is a bit damp. I breathe him in as he holds me close to his heartbeat. I hear him whisper, ''sorry.'' again, and again until it became a song; His heartbeat the rhythm. 

''I love you, Jane. I can't lose you, not now and ever.'' He whispers.

'You're doing everything that contradicts those words, John. Your actions say otherwise.'  I thought, but my mouth couldn't formulate the words. 

'My baby loves me. My heart races to cloud9 and remains there for what feels like forever. It feels too good to be true. I feel like jumping for joy. My heart pounds against my chest, and the monitor goes off as though it were my last breath. the nurses will rush in soon to see what is wrong with their patient. OH! my baby loves me.'

That night, I dreamt of heaven. The streets of gold, the shining lights and the beautiful paradise. I sat on stones overlooking the most beautiful lake I have ever seen. 

It became pure heaven on earth. John kept sending flowers every day even after the doctors declared me free to go home. 

 The best news came on the gossip group chat with my friends, 'shh! what John doesnt know won't hurt him right?' He banned me from seeing them, not chatting with them. John fired his long term secretary Kemi. Oh, how joyous it made me, the angels in heaven are singing for joy on behalf of Maryjane. Kemi is out of our lives for good. 

 My husband and I are closer than ever. He still did not give much affection to Chisom as I would like but I am willing to give him time.  The chips are finally falling in place, I couldn't be happier

It was around these dreamy months that the doctor confirmed another baby on the way. John made up for all the lost times. Chisom spent more time at his grandparent's place to give John and me some quiet time. This feels like a honeymoon,  deep down I knew it was too good to be true. I anticipate the other shoe to drop. 

Eventually, it dropped. John travelled to Ogun state for our doctor friends wedding. I couldn't join him because we agreed that it won't be safe to travel that distance in my heavily pregnant state.

I hear the doorbell from the kitchen where I've been seated all morning since breakfast. I walk to the door, from the one-way see-through glass door I see Kemi. Talk about the last person I wish to see today. I must say she has guts showing up in my house.  I open the door, ''What do you want. John is not here.'' I state the obvious, she probably already knows that.